Dometic Vacuum Toilet

Graham and Sue

Hello to all KOG members.

Hope you all had a good Easter break,and safe travelling.

Have been reading about these Vacuum toilets, no chemicals,save water, more efficient.

Has any one got any experience with these units?

When we had a Bedford motor home years ago,it had a toilet system which used chemicals and then burnt off, on the exhaust when under load,thereby minimising the amout of emptying.

I have not spoken to to Stan yet so don't know if suitable to be installed in the Kedron vans.

We received the Chev in early March,have only done 1800k.have only been for local runs Moogerah dam,Gold Coast via Tamborine Mtn. nice to drive,but have to be aware of the bigger size for parking etc. Different to drive to the trucks(26ton) and now Hino 6 ton,(both cab over) which we are used to driving, have not towed anything yet,will be good when we get cameras on front as well as back,the bonnet is large to see and judge front left corner.

Best wishes,

Safe travelling.

Sue & Graham.

Hi Sue & Graham,

They work well as long as they're maintained. Easy to operate and empty. No smell except when emptying due to no chemicals to mask any odours.

I went to Dometic at Brendale to get a full run down on the system.

They need to be well serviced with vacuum grease where the cassette meets the system. Comes in a tube from Blackwoods. I also lube the slide guide for the cassette.

Keep the foot paddle and flush ball lubed. Always keep a little water in the bowl to assist vacuum.

They've had no reports of the motors failing. Most parts are replaceable. You should only use marine paper (1 or 2 ply) so as to avoid blockages.

My only concern is getting a rock through the piping. It is well protected but rocks tend to find there way into every nook and cranny.

Also, there should be a separate master switch installed to turn off the system if a leak occurs.

Cheers

John

I have a Vacuflush toilet in my boat and theyre great. No smell or chemicals and use very little water.

The holding tank is big.

I looked at using the Dometic for our new van and Stan suprisingly said they would install one if requested.

The Dometic unit is great for an awkward install because the holding tank is remote from the toilet and I liked the ceramic bowl as apposed to plastic. The big downside is the small cassette. Only 14 litres. As I think all caravanners will agree toilet duties are a downer and increasing those duties is madness. This caused us to drop that idea.

Rosco

:confused: