Prodigy Brake Controller

Phil and Ronda

I have just installed a new Prodigy Brake Controller. Previously, I had a Voyager Tekonsha Brake Controller. Since installing the new Prodigy, I have been trying to adjust the brake power to the caravan. I have followed the instructions, however, I cannot get the trailer wheels to lock.

That is, I have gone to maximum power (13) and the boost to b.3. I have tried all of the boost settings from .c to b.3 and although the brakes get more agressive, they will not lock up for me as the instructions indicate they should.

If anyone has experienced similar problems, I would appreciate any information that may assist me.

My rig is a Toyota Landcuiser 100 series TD auto, towing a 15'6" (internal) ATV single axle.

Thanks

Phil & Ronda

If you can't lock 'em up, there are 3 possible reasons why that I can think of:

1. There is something wrong with the brakes themselves - ie the volts are getting through but the solenoids are just not pulling in hard enough, there's a wire broken, etc.

2. The brakes are insufficient to stop the weight of your van (this could happen if your van is severely overloaded, and don't that happen all the time?)

3. The volts aren't getting through because of bad connections or inadequate wiring.

I'd start with that last one. I've just had exactly the same problem, starting with the original Hayman Reece controller that worked well with my Windsor Rapid poptop, but was struggling with the new Kedron (traded in the Windsor in December, best thing I ever did!). But yeah, they won't lock up, even with the new Prodigy. So I've had a look at the instructions and I've had a look at the wiring, and come to the conclusion that good old xxx (3 letters that shall not be named) have wired my cruiser with wire thinner than recommended by either Hayman Reece or Prodigy.

I have to say that the Prodigy is still fantastic compared to the other one, due to its proportional braking - I no longer have that annoying "grabbing" when I slow down at each country town. But when going down a steep gravelly hill with 3 tonnes of Kedron pushing the cruiser, it's still no good - there's just not enough brakes on the van.

Therefore! I'm about to make some measurements of volts and amps (yeah I'm a techo type of guy) and then probably re-wire the cruiser so as to get maximum current through to the brakes (wire too thin gives high voltage drop). I will also be making sure the van itself has thick enough wiring (surely it must, being a Kedron), and I'll also be paying careful attention to the connector itself. I recently spent hours trying to get my collapsible boat trailer lights to work properly, including rewiring the trailer with heavy wire, only to discover in the end that the actual connection from socket to plug was wonky - I had to tweek the individual socket connection pin with the pliers, and hey presto, it worked!

So I'll keep you posted on my progress, but in a nutshell, check the wiring guage, REALLY check the actual trailer plug/socket connection, and of course, make sure the brakes themselves are adjusted up. (If you don't know how to do anything I've just said, say so and I'll add more for you.)

Sid

Thanks Sid for all of your helpful information. I am going through the points that you have made and trying each of them.

I don't think it is my wiring, because my previous brake controller was a Tekonsha Voyager and the brakes worked fine then. Although I did take your advice and cleaned the trailer and car plugand socket. After doing this clean-up and then after I connected the van to the cruiser, I did notice a drop to 11 volts in voltage readout to the controller. I then gave the plug a "wriggle" and I got my 13 volts back.

I did the initial installation of the the "Voyager" brake controller and the wiring I used then, was heavier than what was recommended.

I know it is not a weight problem, because I am doing all of my testing without the van being loaded, so there is only the basic van weight of just over 2 tonnes, and the brakes are the original Kedron ATV brakes (which I believe are 12 inch drums).

I have a mate (who also has a Kedron ATV) bringing his cruiser around this afternoon to give it a try on my van. He has a Tekonsha Voyager controller. I thought this may help me isolate the problem to either the van or the vehicle and then I could proceed from there.

Thanks again for your advice, I will let you know how I get on.

Phil.