Lap Top & Internet Access

Guest Atie

Guest Atie

Hi All,

We have sorted out our Dtronic chip issue, I have booked the LC in with Glenn to have the chip and exhaust modified to increase the power output. Thanks for your help with this.

Next Issue:

I need to now look at purchasing a Lap Top anf fitting all the necessary items (Next G Aerial, modems etc) that will keep us in contact with all our friends and keep up to date with whats new on the KOG site any any other internet access we require.

I was going to send a Personal Message to cvtripper as they seem to have a good knowledge of setting up PC communications in the Van as I got this indication from one of the topics that I have perused but could not work out how to send a PM (guess I could do with some help in this department as well).

Anyway if I could be pointed in the right direction with contacts and items that would be great.

Thanks

Arthur & Adriana

Hi Arthur,

Great to meet you today.

Mate i came across a company called Vansat in the latest C&M mag this arvo that looks like they do what you are chasing-looks great.If anyone can comment on these guys please.

vansat

Cheers,

Glen.

G'dy A&A,

Christine and I use Telstra Turbo - it is quite a small USB fitting, about 80mm long and if you wish you can purchase an outside aerial to plug into it. We found that because we choose to free camp outside of towns the aerial gives the extra grunt needed to pull a signal in. We are working while on the road and are plugged in daily and find the result excellent. More often than not we achieve better speeds than we do at home and that is less than 40k's from Melb GPO but that is another (unhappy) Telsta story!

Have a look at http://www.maxon.com.au/

They do the Telstra Turbo gizmo and have a whole range of aerials.

Regards

Roger

Hi Arthur,

We also use the Telstra Bigpond Next G and have fitted an external aerial to the van - works well and we also use this for business. The Next G coverage is probably the most extensive across Aus and the USB modem (sold by Telstra shops) seems fairly reliable. We sourced our Next G aerial from Matt Colgrave WinCom [mailto:matt@wincom.com.au], unit 4 31 Kenworth Place Brendale mob: 0411704381. Kedron may have stock of his aerials as they fit them to new vans.

Di & Bob

Hi Atie

We have an LG500 Next G mobile which we also use as a modem, and can also use an external antenna if required. We are not big internet uses and have found purchasing a Telstra data pack the way to go because you can pay by the month and have it turned off at the end of any particular month. We prefer this situation rather than being locked into a plan for 24 months!!!! This way can purchase a data pack for a couple of months, go on a trip, and have it turned off when we get home. The speed in about 115, a bit slow for some, but fast enough for us. Check with Telstra for prices.

Peter :thumbsup:

(ATV42

Hi Arthur & Adriana,

As you have seen from the others there are many ways you could go about this - it all depends on how you want it setup and how much you're prepared to spend.

We bought a Telstra Turbo 7 Express card as we wanted the fasted download and upload speed, and we wanted to be able to use the modem at other times also when not travelling in the van, without externally cabling.

We also installed an external 2.5m aerial to give the longest range possible over flat ground. We haven't had a chance to really test this out to it's limits yet, but that will come in July.

Finally, we didn't like the idea of cables everywhere hanging down on the table or being ristricted to sitting in the van to use the aerial, and at times, we'll want more than one computer connected at the same time to the internet, so we bought a Netcomm modem that accepts the Express card and we have a local private wireless network. Can sit inside or out and don't have to drag cables around or even bother plugging any in. The only plug is the laptop charger plug at the table (we have a 12V DC converter for this too, which saves having to turn the inverter on).

All one to their own on how you want to set it up, how much you'll use it and how much hard earned you're prepared to hand over. They all work.

Guest Atie

Hi to All,

Thanks for your feedback, this has given me a starting point. As the Brisbane Caravan show is on this week I will talk to the Telstra people, and there are other suppliers and even seminars that we will be attending that should complete the connecting to the internet puzzle.

Once again, thanks for all your help.

Arthur & Adriana

Hi David & Jane

Your setup sounds like a really good way to go. What model Netcomm did you go for? We've only got the single laptop, but like you, would like to be able to use it outside as well as inside. I've got the Telstra NextG USB mobile wireless modem, which although it works very well, is also a pain in the rear when connected to the aerial because of the cabling. Do you find anything else interferes with the radio signal?

Regards

Lea & Rick

Lea & Rick

I'll refer you to this thread.

http://www.kedronownersgroup.com/forum/ind...amp;hl=internet

The Netcomm router we have is the N3G001W

http://www.netcomm.com.au/administrator/products/n3g001w

It accepts the Turbo 7 Express Card.

There are wireless routers out there that accept the USB modems.

Try these guys.

http://www.draytek.com.au/events/mobile_broadband.php

Guest maca

At work we use tons of NextG routers from this mob:

http://www.call-direct.com.au/

Just pop the sim card in and off you go (Telstra wireless data NOT Bigpond).

They work really well, the only problem being the $1000 price tag.

I don't think Call Direct deal directly with the public but the Telstra shop should be able to get the CDM-882seu in for you.