Honda EU30iu Generator

Mayzee

Hi All, Although we have had our ATV for almost 12 months and in our travels to Birdsville etc (We love the Outback) we have met numerous friendly KOGers this is our first post. Like many others we have found the Honda EU20i jenny wanting. In fairly cool weather at Lake Broadwater (a great place) we decided to try it with the airconditioner and after about 15 minutes it cut out (went into protect or whatever mode...no more aircon). At the KOG Xmas party the Rep from Springers said that the new Honda EU30iu would handle everything OK. As it's 14kg heavier and as we all seem to agree weight is an issue we would like to know if anyone has bought one and how it's performed. We are off to Darwin via Mareeba and the Savanah Way in mid June so we may be tempted to buy one at the Brisbane Camping Show in early June.

John and Maureen,

Don't discount looking at the 2.4 or 2.8 Yamaha. The 2.8 is only 29 kg dry weight while it doesn't have all the fancy cladding it is actually lighter and smaller than the 2.4 at (32kg dry weight). I am pretty sure that some people have them in the group. The 2.8 by the brochure is 60/67 db while thw 2.4 is 54/59db.

Just some other ideas to consider ?

see you on the road :thumbsup:

Hi John and Maureen

Cant comment on the Honda EU30. Looked at one when hunting for a gennie but was put off by the weight and bulk of it's size.

Ended up with the 2.4 Yamaha which has worked well in all situations with plenty of grunt.

As luck would have it, found it actually fitted in the Kedrons gennie box when we brought the van, just had to remove the gennie slide to get enough height clearance.

From memory picked up the Yamaha for the same price as a Honda Eu2.0.

Worth a look.

Cheers

Thanks Wal & Sharon

Sounds like that may well be the way to go. Can you run the aircon on high with the Yamaha 2.4 without turning off the battery charger as don't want to have to fiddle around. Just plug in the Genny and turn on the Dometic aircon

John & Maureen

Yep the 2.4 will run both with no worries and in very high ambient temps and humidity. I think a tad louder than the Honda but that point becomes moot if it can't keep up the output.

The main reason I ended up with the Yamaha was the Air Command (Air Con) on our previous van had such a high draw start up and would kill the Honda 2.0. The local dealer here sells both Honda and Yamaha so he let me bring both home for a comparison test. Sure enough the Honda couldn't cope with the air con and the Yamaha sailed on with no worries.

As I said before...the Yamaha has run everything with no problems. (No I don't work for or have any connection with Yamaha). I would gladly run with a Honda 2.0 if they could handle the pace.

Cheers

Wal :shades: