Interchangeable wheels

morribm

Hi all,

Many of us have at some time determined that we should have the wheels on our van interchangeable with the wheels on our tow vehicle - 'just in case'. I did this with both of my camper trailers and with the Kedron.

My question is this: is this really necessary? Has anyone or does anybody know of anyone, who has ever had such a run of bad luck that they 'needed' three spares?

Cheers

Brian

Hi Brian.

In April last year we were travelling from Comeroo Camel Station to Burke (all dirt).

We had changed a wheel on the Landcruser at the camel Station before leaving due to a slow leak.

Unfortunately we staked the second Cruser wheel on the track to Burke.Even more unfortunate was the fact that when we bought the van new in 2005 we had a Patrol so the van was fitted with Patrol wheels.

We had to repair the staked tyre to get us out of trouble.

When we had to go to the cruser it was not economical to change the van wheels as we needed to change the whole axle assembly's due to the wheel offset.

I can thoroughly recommend matching wheels on van and car for remote travels. :thumbsup:

Hi,

Is it not a case of Murphy's Law....dont have them....you will need them?

Living out here in the Tanami I have two spares on my work ute, one blow out & one with tread seperation, went into Broome last week for a service on the truck very aware that if I had a blow out or puncture I would be buggered, made it to Broome OK now have new rubber all round.