Caravan Power

Ian and Jill Brown

Hi Ian

I think it goes like this- if you leave it on 12v, everything runs off the batteries that would normally run off the batteries. If you put in on 240v, everything runs off the 240v dropped down to 12v via the transformer except for the fridge which is wired direct to the batteries only.

I seem to remember that was the answer I got from Ashleigh when I asked the same question.

I normally leave it on 12v as the transformer is too noisy as its right under my bed head.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Rick :biggrin:

All it does is disconnect the van 12 volt system off the batteries (except for the fridge) and runs the system independently. Everything else just runs off the transformer. It means if you took all the batteries out, and turned onto 240 volt all the lights etc would continue working (except for the fridge, which in our van requires to be directly from the batteries).

We just leave it on 12 volt and don't bother about it.

Chris

Hello Ian,

When picking up my van from the factory, I was told to always put the switch in the '240 volt' mode when traveling. If for some reason the water pump turned on you would not loose all your water or worse flood the inside of the van.

Regards

Gazza

Hi Ian,

Graham told us to switch to 240 while travelling as Gazza said, the bonus being you leave your lights on so that if you pull up in the dark, a quick switch to 12v will turn the lights back on that were left on.

Regards

Chris