Noisey Water Pumps

Mr Wato

Hi All

I am trying to cut down the amount of noise my shurflow pumps make,,,,I am an early riser and the better half likes to sleep in,, that is until I brush my teeth or fill the kettle. I have just fitted acumalator tanks to both pumps and while this has helped they are still noisey. I have filled the little cupboard that houses the pumps with insulation but to no avail.. Does anyone use different pumps or have a magic wand ???

Cheers Phil

Hi MW,

I know what you mean. We are basicly happy with our ATV but noisy plumbing has been a major point of irritation for us since we picked up our new van last November. Also, have not been impressed by K's innability to fix the problem. We even bought new pumps that K fitted for us. We have now travelled over 20,000 km now and have found it a common problen with other Kedrons. We also have spoken to owners of several other types of vans and motor homes, non vibrate as bad as our setup. We have come to the conclusion that the noisy vibration is caused by the way the plumbing is installed and maybe more attention needs to be given to improving the plumbing setup.

I know this is not much help but you are not alone. We would be very happy to hear of any suggestions to how to reduce this terrible vibration.

Cheers

PetenMargie

Hi Phil,

Perhaps remounting the pump on a block of rubber may help to reduce the noise.

We had the same problem in the Ultimate Offroad Camper.

Sounded like a Mack truck on his vacuum brakes. Bit embarassing actually as you would expect better for an expensive camper.

Rather than go to expense of replacement pump that was working ok, we actually applied Rick & Lea's suggestion. Next to waiting for the right time to sell the camper.

Cheers

Gary & Kaye

• 3 weeks later...

hHi Petenmarge

I have since fitted accumulation tanks to both pressure systems, this was a little better but I have fitted a polyester insulation batt (lots of pieces actually) under and all around the pumps and this has reduced the noise incredibly. I had the a/c on the other day and had to get on my knees to here the pump, it is that quiet.. you have to put the insulation under the pump...very happy

cheers Phil

Phil

Are your pumps floor mounted or as my Kedron was 1 on the floor and 1 on a wall which was extremely noisy?

I have fixed a foam block on the floor and the pumps fixed to the top of the block but holding screws do not go through to the floor.

The second mod is to lengthen the hoses so that they are flexible between the holes in the floor and the pumps, loops are ideal.

Doing this has reduced the vibration noise considerably.

Cheers John

Thanks for the advice Wato. I really want to get this fixed. Can you tell me what type of accumulators you have used and how were they plumbed in? What is a "polyester insulation batt"? . We had already mounted the sureflo pumps on thick rubber pads but with no real improvement. Am happy to try anything at the moment as we are fed up withe noise at present. We have also packed clothing and spare bedding around the 2 pumps to keep the noisy vibration down. Have also now cable ties and rubber padding around much of the tubbing under the floor with little benefit.

Thanks

PetenMargie

PS. Can you post a couple pics to show your fix for this.

Hi Petenmargie

I think the accumulators are Shurflo I got them from Camec $80 each. realy easy to install, sort of.. If you can contort your self inside out..i do not have any photos yet but will endeavor to. plumbing them is easy the just connect between the pump and taps (fittings). the insulation is just an r2.5 polyester batt. must be available from insulation shop or Gyprock shop..I dont think mouting them on a rubber block is going to help..if you can not find batts try thick towels , I have jamed the insulation in very tight. where are your pumps mounted ?

cheers Phil

Thanks Wato,

We have an L type lounge and the 2 pumps are mounted under the seat. I can get at them OK just end up with sore knees. We will be back in Geraldton next week so I will call into the caravan accessory place to see if they have any accumulators. Many thanks for the advice. I assume the accumulators are plumbed in on the delivery side of the pump? I also wonder now if NOT bolting them to the floor may also reduce the vibration??

Cheers

Pete n Margie

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Col and Debbie,

We have just got down to Perth for a couple of weeks so intend to fix the problem before we head off for the wilds of Oz again. The accumulator tank was suggested as a fix by a fellow Kedron owner so we will definately follow up the Nimbin mob.

Many thanks for your input :thumbsup:

Cheers

Pete and Margie

• 1 month later...

:sad: Just a quick report about the "Noisy Pump Syndrome" or KNPS. I finally installed a Sureflo accumulator tank and mounted the pump on a 1/4" rubber sheet but it has not done the job. The vibration is as bad as it ever was. I guess I have to use ear plugs when having a shower. Any other ideas are welcome.

Cheers

Pete