Towing A Kedron To Springbrook QLD

Gary and Kaye

Hi Folks,

I would appreciate some words of wisdom about towing a Kedron ATV2 up to Springbrook, QLD. Be it via the front road from Mudgeeraba, or the back road from Nunimbah Valley (Pine Creek Road). The road has signage indicating a degree of 17%, along with some tight turns, and one way sections, with narrow bridges, depending on which road you use.

I have not towed a caravan before.

I have towed my Ultimate Offroad Camper to and from Springbrook, which never presented a problem, however, now there is a considerable difference in size and weight.

To be honest, I don't know the full capabilities of the new vehicle towing this size caravan. In this sort of situation and I ask myself should I be engaging my hubs and using High or Low range up or down on the Black Top. I then have a concern about the transmission using 4x4 drive on such a surface.

We all have to start somewhere. I appreciate your learned opinion.

Thanks

Hi definitely the back road through Advance town, it is steep but it's the best way to go, [we live in Nerang]if you need help My husband Frank does this professionally.

Cheers Gini.[just had our first trip in our almost new Kedron ...] :biggrin:

Hi Gary & Kaye,

I don't know the particular road you are talking about so can't give advice on that road. But 17% grade is pretty steep and probably not one to tackle without some experience in towing vans as big as yours will be. Locking in your hubs and putting it in 4wd is definitely not recommended if you are on bitumen as this can do serious transmission damage and be quite dangerous if something lets go on a hill like this one.

Perhaps others who have experienced the road you are talking about can advise further. Good luck. :thumbsup:

Hi Gary & Kaye,

I have driven a truck up both ways in the past and the way up from Mudgeeraba is very narrow on the single lane section and one of the bridges is very tight.This is why there is a sign at Mudgeeraba saying "Not suitable for caravans".

The way up Pine Creek Rd is fairly steep ( low range in truck). But with your vehicle it should be possible.

If it was me I would take a day trip up one way and down the other without the van, first.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Hi Folks,

Thank you for the replies, it has helped. The unfortunate part about all this from a 'to be' caravan owners point of view July next year, is, I live up here.

I will have to take a better look for the Mudgeeraba sign refering to caravans, I have seen the one refering to trucks and tonnage.

I agree with you about Pine Creek Rd, Nunimbah Valley, as steep as it is (12% - 17%) going up may not be a problem based on the power of the vehicle, and the weight being towed, it's coming down one particular part which is long and steep. I have been told not to use my High / Low range due to transmission strain and being on the Black Top.

I have used my new vehicle across the Gulf, and up to Cape York (Tip) but that was easy going towing 1200kg max. Towing Ulti you didn't even know it was behing the truck.

This is different, I have not towed this size or weight up or down the mountain. As to how the vehicle will respond I am unsure.

I had brake fade once, with my Landrover Discovery towing Ulti off the Barrington Tops, in that instant I engaged high range selected third, and let it roll off the mountain with no problems.

Thanks again everone for your assistance, I might put a phone call into Dave Gall, he may know the area, as he certainly knows caravans, from seeing his DVD's.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the late update on this thread.

A friend of mine brought his Kedron ATV2 up to Springbrook via the back road.

I followed him up to see if there was a difficulty on corners etc.

Not a problem, the Toyota Landcruiser 200 series, towed it very well. The driver was not at all perturbed, but did say going down was slow and steady.

Thanks for the 'Heads Up Tony'. and thank you to all that replied to my question. :thumbsup:

Cheers

Have a safe & Merry Xmas

Gary & Kaye