Water Pressure Limiting Valve

morribm

On our recent trip we met a bloke who strongly advised us to consider fitting a pressure limiting valve to our hose line between an external tap and the van. He had apparently met a fellow vanner who had omitted to turn the mains pressure tap off when on an outing only to find on his return that his van was awash due to a burst pipe or failed connection or suchlike.

When we remember, we disconnect from the mains when away from the van but certainly don't do this overnight and I guess if there is going to be a mains pressure surge, then it is most likely to occur overnight.

So, is there a 'best practice' recommendation on this topic?

Cheers

Brian

Hi Brian.

The inlet for external water on the van has an inbuilt pressure limiting valve.

There is no device that will cut off the water in the event of a water leak as with the gas system (if fitted).

Sooooo if the system within the van ruptures bug.er lotsa mopping will surely ensue if the external water is turned on or the pump is switched on.

Sorry

Thanks R & M for the quick response.

I didn't realise that there is a pressure limiting valve fitted to the van. I was concerned about the pressure in the mains creeping up to a level that could blow pipes or connections internally but I'm now reassured that this is most unlikely and I will, when it stops raining here, have a look to see if I can locate the fitted device.

Cheers

Brian

Greetings again Brian.

The pressure limiting device is an integral part of the unit that you attach your hose to on the side of the van.

They are supplied by Surflo the same mob that make the pressure pumps.

It will be a little hard to see unless you pull the whole unit off the van and disassemble it.

Have a squize at the web site http://www.shurflo.com/marine-products/wat...es/default.html

And scroll down to "Wall Mount City Water Entries" and you will see the unit that is fitted to your van and you can get some info on it. :thumbsup:

Ah, that's just great! Thanks R & M.

I had no idea this was all an integrated system. Perfect.

The bloke I mentioned who advised regarding the fitting of an external device showed me his. It was a rather cumbersome bit of kit fitted to the hose just before the van inlet and cost around $80. I looked high and low at various plumbing places and hardware stores for a similar one and luckily wasn't able to find one. Just what this forum is all about, I guess.

Pity there is no way I can see to fit a lockable cap.

Cheers and thanks,

Brian