Dash lights.....like a Christmas tree

TonyH

High all,

Just thought I would pass this on..... for 200 series owners

Went for a drive through the Jillaby State Forest (Wyong area) the other day, all good no dramas, a few potholes & a little bit of tree debris in places, no real challange.

Halfway along the road I noticed the dash warning lights had illuminated (low 4wd & VSC flashing, ABS, traction control & h/brake lights were on). I hit the button on my Scan Guage 11 to check for fault codes it didnt show any codes. All vehicle controls & functions appeared to be operating OK, as it was rather wet outside I ventured on & arrived home with no dramas. Next day had a check of the vehicle...still no fault codes, disconnected the battery for half a hour, reconnected, still had lights on dash. Got under the truck & found that the wiring harness to the O/S/R road wheel sensor had been broken off (probably tree branch).

I was able to temporarily able to reconnect the harness, checked the lights now all 'out' & the way it should be.

I was able to remove the sensor from the axle tube & the broken male plug from the female plug on the harness without damage.

Went to local dealer to price new sensor $255.85..... after I got off the floor I thought I will have a go a repairing this my self. I purchased a tube of Selleys 'Plastics Glue' this product comes with a tube of glue & a primeing 'pen' similar to a Texta pen.

I 'repaired/glued' the broken parts & put a smear of silcon around the join.

Refitted the sensor & all is good. :thumbsup:

I have NO association with Selleys & my only intention is to share this experiance & possibly help someone else down the track

Thanks for taking the time to post Tony. I am sure all our 200 Series owners would have read it with interest.

That is what the forum is all about, sharing experiences and information.

Hope you are both well and we can catch up again when down your way.

Hi Tony,

Thanks for posting that info. I am no mechanic, so, if you don't mind, can you please tell me what the O/S/R sensor thing is and where I would find it. I'm not being a smart*rse, it really does help to know these things that can go wrong in the middle of nowhere. Their is so much electronic wizardry on cars these days, it's a bit confronting.

Kind regards

Chris

G'Day Chris,

Just got your message, can I reply to you early next week (Tuesday), as we are about to leave to go to Sydney for our nephews wedding. :biggrin:

Regards

Hi Chris,

Not a problem at all......

O/S/R is off side rear.... drivers side rear.

O/S/F " " " front..... " " front

N/S/R is near side rear....passengers side rear.

N/S/F " " " front.... " " front

The rear wheel speed sensors are on the extreme outer front/leading 'face or edge' of the axle tube.

The sensor is secured to the axle tube by a 6mm nut & it is easily located. Lay down in front of rear wheel stick your head in under vehicle & you will see it. There is a wiring harness going to it with a female plug on it.

The front wheel speed sensors are located just in front of the the outer Constant Velocity Joints on each side again they have a harness going to them also with a female plug.

The function of a sensor is to let the ECU (Electronic OR Engine Control Unit depending weather it is a engine, driveline or accessory what is happening at any given moment in regards to speed, temperature or pressure. ('Modern' vehicles also have BCM's (Body Control Module) these control the operation of safety equipment (seat belts, airbags), ventilation, stereo & communication devices. I will stand corrected but the current Commodore has a total of eight (8) ECM's ECU's & BCM's not sure how many the 200 series has....would be a similar number)

The wheel speed sensor monitors each road wheels speed, which is critical in the overall operation of the ABS, traction control, downhill assist (petrol models).

So when I 'knocked out' one of my sensors.... that particular sensor ceased working the ECU recognised this & the warning lights came on.

With those warning lights on it lets the driver know there is a problem....although I could continue driving... the operation of the ABS & traction control would have been affected.

If you have a problem with say the engine or transmission the relative sensor that monitors that function will put the relevent warning light on, or the vehicle into limp home mode (greatly reduced power & transmission function) or just cut the engine out.

Contary to a lot of hype going round....modern Japanese electronics are very reliable & rarely give trouble. Nippon Denso is an off shoot of Toyota, they design & manufacture all the electonics, electrics, A/Cond, ventilation & radiator products for Toyota....top quality stuff!.

So if a warning light comes on CHECK it out, or have it checked as soon as possible. Something I used to say to my customers was.... "a little CHECK now is better that a big CHEQUE later".

Hope this helps you..... :thumbsup:

Excellent Tony, thanks very much for taking the time to explain. I guess I should have picked up on the o/s/r ........ lol I will have a look at those wheel sensors so I understand where they are.

Kind regards

Chris