Removing tail light assembly

Ian and Sue

Morning all - your assistance required again

Has anyone had any experience with removing the tail light assembly on a 2005 ATV. It has a 45cm x 15 cm block of lights with three lens covers, two red one orange. Some of the LEDS in one brake light is blown and will need replacing before we go for inspection. As the assembly has been exposed to the sun and heat for several years it is brittle, would be fine if left in place but we do not want to force anything as we risk breaking it. There are no visible screws, ekkk.... And the black surround seems to go right under the lenses. How to get one lens off without breaking is the question. The second question would be if we do break it does anyone know where we might get another - already done an Internet search at the site which is imprinted on the lens but looks like maybe they don't make them anymore.

Cheers. And. Thanks

As soon as I am able to access the Internet again with my laptop I will up load a photo, Karratha suffers badly on the weekend from very restricted 3G services because of all the FIFo workers Skyping home!

Hi Red Rubi. I'll bet each of the 3 lenses 'pops' into the black surround, that is attached by 2 srews into the caravan wall. the screws will be hidden while the lenses are in place. On my lights (a bit different, and made by Brytec, but close enough)there are two little projections on the top and bottom horizontal surfaces of each lens. These projections click into equivalent recesses in the mounting frame itself. If you get two thin-bladed screwdrivers, insert between the mounting and the lens on the top of the lens (to start) and lever out gently - but it may take a few goes. Once the top is free or has moved, at least, do the same on the bottom of the lens. Be careful you do not break the eletrical connections as the lens comes out. If they refuse to budge, it is likely that whatever sealant was used to waterproof the hole for the wires coming out of the caravan has spread to the back of the lenses. This may prevent the lenses coming out cleanly, especially if sikaflex sealant was used. In my case, we had to saw through the sealant carefully, avoiding cutting the electrical connections, with a thin flexible serrated kitchen knife - not a lot of fun! Had to do this with lights on both sides of my van when the original lights became dodgy.

If you are lucky enough to pop out the dodgy lens intact,take a photo of the eletrical wiring connections before you cut them as close to the lens as possible, so that there is sufficient length to reconnect them to a new lens. Then you may need to take the old lens to your nearest auto-electrician or auto parts shop to see if they can supply an identical replacement. In our case, we had to buy two new complete light units, at about $100 each, and start from scratch, being careful to reseal the hole into the caravan, but NOT with sikaflex (a silicone gel ought to do the job)!!

Best of luck....

Mike

Red Ruby,

How to remove LED tail light assembly is all there, including picks, on the Forum.

See "Dont take Your LED Stop/Tail lamps for Granted" started by Grahame & Wendy Roberts.

Regards,

Grahame

Thanks Grahame and Wendy. We worked out where the tabs where located and Newbies confirmation gave us added confidence to proceed. The lens popped out quiet easily without damage. We have managed to track down a potential supplier here in Karratha so looks like this fix will happen fairly quickly. Fingers crossed.

We have just paid our membership to the Kedron owners group and look forward to being able to access the forum completely.

thanks again everyone much appreciated.