Storing ATV

petenmargie

Hello All,

After nearly 2 years of great touring around Oz in our 21 1/2ft ATV and living in it for 7 months while house was built we will now be putting our van in the shed for about 12 months before we head of once again (yes there is still much to see and do). Can any of you wise KOGer's let me know what I should do with batteries (storage wise)and should I leave van connected to 240v power of leave off? Also, a bit worried about what to do with the water heater (gas only) and have replaced cathode (?) recently. Should I drain it or leave it full??

Thanks in advance.

Pete n Margie

Hi Pete & Margie, Pete I presume,

For my 2 bobs worth I would definitely be leaving the van hooked up to 240v otherwise if its in a shed the solar wont be working & you be up for a new set of batteries for sure.

Thats great you have replaced your ANODE on your water tank.....I would leave the tank full my self, draining the tank you will have air in there which will promote oxidisation & other nasties, re water tanks there is currently debate about this topic on previous threads, again I would leave the water tanks full & give a through flush before next use.

I hope the withdrawal from caravan life isn't to severe

When we weren't using our caravan we would leave it hooked up to the 240v in the garage, every so often we would flick the switch to bring the batteries back up to charge. :) - that particular caravan didn't have a water heater so we didn't have to think about that part of your question.

Cheers

Sue

Hi all.

Great advice from Tony.

Leave the water heater off and full (unless you expect freezing conditions :rolleyes: ). Water tanks full and 240v hooked up your battery charger should keep the batteries in tip top condition ready for the next adventure.

We always left our fridge running as well (unless defrosting) in out XC and we had 7 years faithful service from it.

Another little snippet of advice. Make sure that you exercise all components on the rig at least once a month if you can. Run the aircon turn the water heater on, diesel heater if you have it, flush the toilet and make sure that you have oiled all the rubbers on the toilet cassette.Use the SOG if fitted, Run some water through the taps using the pumps and any other items fitted should be exercised.

The old saying "use it or loose it" definitely applies to caravan components.

Cheers and good luck.

• 2 weeks later...