Cracks in vanity unit

Alan and Jayne

G'day all

We have a 22' TopEnder which has a front facing toilet & combined shower installed. The plastic moulded vanity unit has cracks in it in the corners above the soap holder & more recently above the basin (which we hardly ever use).

The plastic thickness in these corners where the cracks are seems to be very thin, thus I guess why it's cracked.

Has anyone else had this experience & what did you do about it?

Seems to be a manufacturing fault, but as our van is 2009 model I'm not sure what to do about it.

Cheers

Alan

We have the same problem with our 2010 Top Ender. Got rid of the two door after they cracked and replaced them with a framed mirror siliconed into the cavity. We only have one crack around the top of the basin where as you say the plastic is very thin.

Spoke to Kedron and we will call in on our way home later this year. They say it is a huge job to replace the whole unit and may weaken the structural integrity of the unit so they recomend just covering the cracks with white silicone after drilling a small hole at each end to stop the spread. Not happy but I guess I'll have to accept that. Noticed at the last caravan show that they still use these units, no doubt good enough for an ordinary van but I think totally unacceptable for a true "Off Road" van.

Greg

G'day Sue & Greg

Thanks for your replies.

I have emailed Kedron with pictures, let's see what they do. I'll kept you posted.

I have covered our cracks with a liberal amount of Araldite which I kept in place via electrical tape during setting. This has definately given these areas more strength & to date has stopped the cracks from spreading.

If Kedron can't do anything to help here, I'll cover the Araldite with white silicone to improve the appearance.

Cheers

Alan

G'day Greg & Sue

In discussion with Tom, it was decided that we would try the white silicone on the Araldite as this really seems like the strongest solution. We just need to fix the appearance of thissolution.

Certainly replacing the unit isn't optimum, but it is possible. However it'll be the same thin section & I reckon the chances of it cracking again are high.

Cheers

Alan