MORE XANTREX QUESTIONS

petenmargie

I am getting our 2009 ATV ready for a short trip up to Bowen and seem to have a problem with the Xantrex charger. The ATV has been stored in the shed for about 10 months since we returned from our 2 year trip around the island. I have followed advice and kept the batteries charged by switching on the 240v every 2 or 3 weeks until they were back to 100%. Everything seemed fine until yesterday while getting set up for the trip. I switched the 240v power on and tried to turn on the interior lights but found that I did not have any 12 power. I've checked all the obvious things but still no 12v power when connected to 240v. When the switch is set to 12v all is fine with voltage at 13.6v but when set to 240v no lights or pumps. All other 240v appliances work fine so there is obviously power getting in. Any ideas out there? I hope it's something simple (like my brain) and not a major replacement job.

Thanks

Pete

Hi Pete,

Sounds like the 240v power supply, left hand side tucked in beside the battery, not the charger. There is a switch directly above it to turn on the onboard charging of the breakaway, above that is a double power point into which the 240v power supply is plugged in. If that's on and has power you should hear the fan in the power supply running.

Best of luck.John

Thanks Webby. Yes, fuses were OK but still worth another check.

Jaygee, mine's a "Baintech" power supply not sure if they're all the same but it's right down at bottom LHS so hard to check but the fan's not running when 240v switch is on. Can't find a reset switch so looks like this may be the problem.

Thanks for the info it looks like a simple replacement job. I'll go a see an auto electrician today.

Cheers

Pete

I am getting our 2009 ATV ready for a short trip up to Bowen and seem to have a problem with the Xantrex charger. The ATV has been stored in the shed for about 10 months since we returned from our 2 year trip around the island. I have followed advice and kept the batteries charged by switching on the 240v every 2 or 3 weeks until they were back to 100%. Everything seemed fine until yesterday while getting set up for the trip. I switched the 240v power on and tried to turn on the interior lights but found that I did not have any 12 power. I've checked all the obvious things but still no 12v power when connected to 240v. When the switch is set to 12v all is fine with voltage at 13.6v but when set to 240v no lights or pumps. All other 240v appliances work fine so there is obviously power getting in. Any ideas out there? I hope it's something simple (like my brain) and not a major replacement job.

Thanks

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd just finish this thread after making a couple of enquiries about the power supply. As it turned out that the Bain Tech power supply had failed but I was curious about Zolle's post so, I called Tom at Kedron who said that they don't install the 12v power supplys anymore and that I could just run lights, fridge fans etc of the batteries even when on 240v power. I then called Bainbridge Technologies the manufacturer, who advised that not using a power supply would reduce the life of the batteries. Always good when you get conflicting advice ain't it? Anyway I have decided to replace the unit at least I now know it isn't critical.

Now to pack the rods and reels.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and help with this.

Cheers

Pete