Mobile phone

reece

Hi

We are about to hit the road and my old faithfulBlackberry has just about to give the fight.

I would like to replace it with a Samsung S3 4G my question is if I put an external aerial and a cradle in the 200 series can I then put the same cradle in theT/E then connect the aerial feed from the external aerial on the T/E for a better reception.

Regards

Reece

An observation from a none too savy mobile phone person. We have a Samsung Galaxy moblie phone about 12 months old. We live in Karratha and I have found that when I am driving up and down to Geraldton if I allow the phone to use the bluetooth handsfree conection to our LC200 I can actually make phone calls in places I can't when I use the phone in the normal manner. I discovered this on a trip back to Karratha last year when I thought as it was getting late I would connect through the bluetooth even though I was till some 200 kilometres from home, I was thinking as I got to the usual point that comes into range (around 35kilometres south) I would give Ian a ring and let him know I nearly back. Ian seems to think there must be some kind of a boost when the phone is used through the car via bluetooth.

Hmmmm... another blonde ramble.. :lol: Told you I wasn't phone savy that's my excuse for being long winded!

G`day all

We have 2 phones, Lea has a Nokia 710 smart phone,and I have a Samsung flip phone.Neither has an antenna connection. We bought a Cradle that plugs into the car Next G antenna which boosts the signal by about 2 bars depending where we are. We both have Telstra prepaid.The cradle is adjustable to fit either phone (one at a time).

Cheers

Rick & Lea

Hello Rick and Lea,

Do those extra 2 bars serve alcohol? Knowing you guy, I am guessing they do

To clarfy my original point -

Cradles with an antenna connection will provide a passive connection to a Mobile phone in the cradle - better than hand held ( especially better than the phone in the cupholder amongst the coffee thermos cups)

The best performnce is when you have a phone that has an antenna connection that makes a metallic connection to the phone )( ie plugs in) - they will work where the passive ones do not.

On flat ground there is around 12 - 15 km difference in coverage between a phone in a passive cradle vs one with a plug in antenna. ( yes i did the tests)

The unfortunate fact is that the choice of phones with direct antenna connections is limited - Telstra / ZTE are the most common that have the direct antenna connection.

so the compromise - is absolute coverage the goal ( with a more simple phone device) or is the smart phone capability with coverage not as good OK for your circumstance?

After a recent 14 weeks bout the place ( and a ZTE phone with Cradle and direct antenna connection in the car) there were only a few places where i dug out the antenna and WiFi modem to get internet in because the smart phone (HTC)was not working effectively as a wireless hot spot. There were a number of places where it did not really matter as there was no coverage at all. But you expect that in the more remote places in the bush.

of course there are antennas and there are antennas - that is again another topic altogether.

If you purchase a "Blue Tick" phone from Telstra you will get access to the momre sensitive handsets (most without a plug in antenna)

the question always remains - how important is the absolute max coverage vs the functionality of the phone itself.

The Samsung is a very nice device.