Jerry Cans

Chanty

Hi,

We have now taken delivery of our new XC3 and it has come (as ordered) with two metal Jerry Can Holders fitted to the A frame behind the two gas cylinders.

It was my intention to have covers made for them and to use these holders to store 10 Lit cans of petrol for the generator.

I believed that having the Jerry Cans fully protected would comply with the current Queensland Transport Rules.

I have since heard a different story and would appreciate feedback from anyone who has knowledge of the rules and regulations.

Regards,

Chanty.

Hi Chanty

Not sure of the exact rules on this, but I would assume the jerry cans would need ventilation of some sort.

We had checkerplate lids made for our jerry can holders on the A frame, removed the chains, and have a flat steel rod that slides across the top (between the remaining chain loops) and this is secured with a padlock. This setup does not completely seal the jerry can holder as there are still gaps around the loops and also under the lid itself.

You need to search for a 10 litre plastic jerry can that is low in profile but not too wide, as it will be a snug fit. From memory we bought ours from SuperCheap Auto.

Our reason for fitting the lids was to stop stones flicking up and into the holders and then with vibration, rubbing holes in the plastic jerry cans themselves. The lids aren't very thick checkerplate and would bend back quite easily if forced, but it is a quick visual check that they haven't been tampered with, and the locks, in that case, are merely a bluff. We could have used thicker grade checkerplate, but the fitting of the steel bar would have been a bit snug. The main reason was not for absolute security, but to stop the tiny stones. The locking was to hold the lids securely so they done fly off, or come away with the "helping" hand.

I can post some photos if you like.

Hi Chanty,

There was a couple of discussions about carrying diesel & fuel on the draw bar on the Caravaners Forum which may be of interest to you -

/>http://caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32957&hilit=Jerry+can+holders

/>http://caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31737&hilit=Carrying+fuel

I have tried to find "rules" or "standards" for carrying fuel but have been unable to find any. The only things I could find were that jerry can should be located where there is less likihood of "impact".

Hi Chanty

Not sure of the exact rules on this, but I would assume the jerry cans would need ventilation of some sort.

We had checkerplate lids made for our jerry can holders on the A frame, removed the chains, and have a flat steel rod that slides across the top (between the remaining chain loops) and this is secured with a padlock. This setup does not completely seal the jerry can holder as there are still gaps around the loops and also under the lid itself.

You need to search for a 10 litre plastic jerry can that is low in profile but not too wide, as it will be a snug fit. From memory we bought ours from SuperCheap Auto.

Our reason for fitting the lids was to stop stones flicking up and into the holders and then with vibration, rubbing holes in the plastic jerry cans themselves. The lids aren't very thick checkerplate and would bend back quite easily if forced, but it is a quick visual check that they haven't been tampered with, and the locks, in that case, are merely a bluff. We could have used thicker grade checkerplate, but the fitting of the steel bar would have been a bit snug. The main reason was not for absolute security, but to stop the tiny stones. The locking was to hold the lids securely so they done fly off, or come away with the "helping" hand.

Hi Chanty,

There was a couple of discussions about carrying diesel & fuel on the draw bar on the Caravaners Forum which may be of interest to you -

/>http://caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32957&hilit=Jerry+can+holders

/>http://caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31737&hilit=Carrying+fuel

I have tried to find "rules" or "standards" for carrying fuel but have been unable to find any. The only things I could find were that jerry can should be located where there is less likihood of "impact".

Hi Chanty

[/quote

Hi Chanty. I carry 2 x 20 litre jerry cans on our draw bar for our generator. Our son made me up a lid that slides over the top of the jerry can holders supplied by kedron, he made them out of the same material 1.6 mm checkerplate ally. We removed the chain and welded a small piece of right angle ally to each side of the jerry can holder. This stops stones from wedging down between the jerry can and the holder also stops people from taking fuel or putting stuff into your fuel. Also when traveling thru aborignal land unleaded fuel can not be seen. A small paddock secures it together.Richard

Hi Chanty. I carry 2 x 20 litre jerry cans on our draw bar for our generator. Our son made me up a lid that slides over the top of the jerry can holders supplied by kedron, he made them out of the same material 1.6 mm checkerplate ally. We removed the chain and welded a small piece of right angle ally to each side of the jerry can holder. This stops stones from wedging down between the jerry can and the holder also stops people from taking fuel or putting stuff into your fuel. Also when traveling thru aborignal land unleaded fuel can not be seen. A small paddock secures it together.Richard

I was talking to Kedron and they informed me that the jerry cans on the draw bar are for carrying water or diesel. Petrol, which ignites easier than say diesel, cannot be kept there as it is close to the gas bottles. It was mentioned it was illegal to carry petrol on the back of the van.

I found the following, dated 3/4/09, on the Grey Nomads forum in response to a query about carry fuel in jerry cans:

"This is the response to the question is it legal to carry diesel in Jerry cans attached to the rear of a vehicle; if you can make sense of it then perhaps you could explain it to me. Yet another example of beaureacratic hubris....

I guess it's a qualified "YES YOU CAN"

Hi Trevor

DECC has been asked this question before due I believe to our involvement with Dangerous Goods legislation and licensing. Diesel is not classed as a Dangerous Good and petrol (which is a Dangerous Good Class 3 and highly flammable) can be carried without a Dangerous Goods licence in amounts less than 250L. This is the only definitive advice DECC can provide as it is the only piece of legislation that refers to petrol and diesel. It is possible that there is an Australian Design Rule related to vehicle safety that may control where on a vehicle any such external contraptions are fixed however I was not able to access the ADRs to check. You could try contacting the federal Dept infrastructure, Transport and Regional Development as they have both the ADRs and Vehicle Safety legislation under their general control. They have NSW regional offices in Newcastle, Orange and Wollongong see http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/utilities/contact.aspx The NRMA may also be able to provide advice on this aspect.

I do not believe it is illegal to fix a jerry can to the rear of a vehicle in NSW however there is always an element of risk when carrying fuel. It is not sensible to fix jerry cans to the rear of a vehicle due to the inherent danger of a rear ended collision and the greatly increased risk of fuel spill and fire in such circumstances, particularly with petrol. For caravans this is made somewhat easier by the potential to fix the jerry cans to the front of the caravan rather than the rear. For a 4WD roof racks or a trailer are a preferable place to stow jerry cans. If you are going to be carrying fuel a lot, it would be worth investigating the installation of long range tanks to avoid the issue altogether. Please note that any jerry can (plastic or steel) intended to be used for carrying fuel must comply with Australian Standard AS2906.2001.

Wherever you decide to secure the jerry cans ensure they are well protected from impact and are secure. Some companies make special rigid holders for this purpose and I have seen some on the rear of 4WDs but you are likely to find that the makers will not generally endorse these rear door holders for carrying fuel cans and will likely say they are for carrying water cans or refer you to somewhere else to find out.

Regards

Linda

Environment Line & Information Centre

Department of Environment & Climate Change (NSW)

info@environment.nsw.gov.au"

AND this, dated 11/1/12, on the Australian Land Rover Owners forum: -

"NSW does not have any rules that I can find and the epa sent this to some else who asked the same question

Petrol is classified as a dangerous goods and is controlled by dangerous goods transport law. Diesel is not a dangerous goods and is not controlled.

The Act controls all transport of dangerous goods and requires everyone to transport dangerous goods safely. . However, the dangerous goods Regulations for transport of all dangerous goods including flammable liquids (dangerous goods of class 3) do not control certain activities.

These uncontrolled activities include the private transport of your own goods provided there are less than 250 litres of petrol or other flammable liquids in one or more drums or jerricans on your vehicle.

This means, as far as DEC controls (and NSW law) are concerned, that you can carry jerricans of petrol in your car with no restrictions other than the general duty of care to do this safely. It is up to you to use 'safe' procedures.

Please note that the dangerous goods transport laws are uniform throughout Australia.

Please also note that most vehicle insurance policies require you to notify the insurance company if you transport dangerous goods, such as petrol and LP gas.

Alan Ritchie

Manager Dangerous Goods

Department of Environment and Conservation NSW

Australia

Ph 02 9995 5411 (+ 612 9995 5411)

Fx 02 9995 5918 (+ 612 9995 5918)

Geoff "