Kedron CX3

petenmargie

Hi Everyone,

We have just downsized our Landcruiser petrol V8 100 series and now have a brand new Prado diesel. Since completing our 3 year around Oz trip in 2012 we promised ourselves to upgrade our old tug(270,00km!). The whole idea was to get a more economical tow vehicle and get a lighter van. We have now sold our 2009 21ft ATV2 and have been seriously thinking about what type of van to get to match the Prado ever since. Although we loved the Kedron we were prepared to look at some of the other light "off roaders". We have now come to the conclusion that the new CX3 is definitely the best for our needs. So, having said all that I was wondering if any Kogers have one of the new Cross Country 3 vans and what you think about them. I realise that most of youare into full size Kedrons but this one should suit our needs very well. We wont be doing any more long distance touring but still like to get "dirty" occasionally. We still enjoy getting out there and want to do a bit of remote camping and love a bit of fossicking and prospecting not to mention a bit of fishing at remote locations while we still can. We realise that the CX3 is a bit of a compromise when compared to what we have had but being on a fixed income now makes economy very important to us.

Looking forward to your replies.

Pete and Margie

Hi Pete & Margie

We have just purchased a XC3 17'6" internal with a tare of 2185kg and a ATM of 3000kg, and are very pleased, we tow with a 2002 3LTD manual Nissan Patrol, the combination shower/toilet is something we appreciate as we have not had this before, and the finish inside we cannot fault.

The Nissan tow's it well and I can still achieve 17lts per 100klm's at 90klms to 95klms with the occasional 100klms.

The van has full coil suspension, and I found that the quality of the build is far superior to some of the other manufactures vans they class as "Off Road Vans".

Regards Jim

Pete and Margie

I think you will be trying to do what we did in 2007 when we bought our XC2 to suit the rated towing capabilities of a Terracan CRD.

The van was plated to suit the Terracan but when we put it on the weigh bridge it was 400kg over weight although the Terracan pulled it easily with terrific fuel economy of around 15l/100km.

We changed to a Patrol 3l CRD because of the legalities of the tow weight and the Terracan started showing signs of margin transmission strength in the clutch and diff.

Kedron provided a new plate to suit my weigh bridge weights without any hassles which was fitted at a vehicle inspection centre in WA.

In any negotiations with Kedron put it in writing what your towing capacity is for the Prado and insist Kedron provide a public weigh bridge certificate to prove the build weight suits your needs before you part with your money.

Also have close look at the standard electrical equipment fitted to the XC3 lightweights as you may not have any margin to add batteries, solar panels or water tanks.

We called in to Kedron last year after our trip to the tip of Cape York and looked at the XC3 which looked as though the coil spring suspension could be an improvement over the rock & roller on the XC2 and the internal build was typical Kedron.

However there was silence when I asked if I could take an XC3 where I have been with the XC2 but that could be because Kedron know all about our travels with the XC2.

I gathered that the intent of it was a lightweight bitumen and good dirt road van but I think it would do everything you want it to do.

As I said above your priority with whatever van you buy is that its actual weight is legal for the Prado.

Have fun

John

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter.

BJW44 it's good to hear that you are very satisfied with your new CX3 it confirms our thoughts on the other "off roaders". But I am surprised by your tare wt on the 17.5ft van, do you have much extra bolted on over the standard Kedron fit out?

Thanks Zolle, it's good to hear that the van performed so well for you as the Cape is not for the faint hearted. I am also pleased to hear that the built quality is still good for the lightweight van. As you point out the issue is getting something that suits the Prado. Unfortunately, we went for the auto so are limited to ATM of 2.5t. Also appreciate your comments about the need to allow for extras. Will have to talk to Kedron again to see if that is at all possible.

Fingers x'ed

Pete and Margie

Hi I have a 21ft XC3 with ensuite, 3x solar and batteries, washing machine, diesel heater and so on.

Tare is 2750kg and all up plated for 3500kg, so can carry a load.

It has been on the worst roads, Savannah Way, Camooweal to Lawn Hill, SW Qld etc and apart from a couple of loose screws, has not missed a beat and given no trouble. Unless you really do want to go off road, meaning no road, then in my experience an XC3 would do fine.

We pull with a 200 series and it eats the XC3, might need a lighter caravan for another vehicle.

Cheers

John

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

we bought a 18 foot inside XC3 - in 2012 -- with front boot - and 2 x 100 litre water tanks - loaded with all of the goodies - single beds and it has been great- it tares in at 2380 and plated for 3300kg - 2 batteries and two solar.

our first van was a 16.6" top ender that never missed a beat. but we enjoyed the lighter van.

This time we fitted the thetford 160l three way fridge- and it has been as good as our vigtrofrigo compressor model. We looked at these in USA last year - they are made by NORCOLD IN THE usa - AND ARE T RATED.--The only proviso that we insisted on was that they be roof Vented - It seems to work and i personally would not go back to a compressor model - why - because we use less power and need less batteries and less solar panels and find that the two door 160 model has performed brilliantly in 38 degrees. we dont chase hot weather.

BUT we are selling again - We bought the van to do specific trips and will be listing it for sale this week. regards and happy camping.

june-tom@bigpond.net.au