XC breaking springs

explorer bob

I purchased a XC 2010 1 year ago and have just returned from a 15,000 km trip to various parts of AUS.

My van has the basic spring suspension made by 'Vehicle Components' in Brisbane. On this trip I broke 2 springs, both sides at rear at different times. Both springs (main) broke in the same place, approx. 3 inches (75mm) from the hanger pin on the rear end of the rear springs. I was not overloaded as I put the van on a weighbridge and was 200kgs under maximum.

I spoke to Kedron in Brisbane at the time of the first break and was told to call the manufacturer, Vehicle Components and told they will help you. They did, they sold me a new one each time. A rather poor response I thought from a manufacturer that prides itself on building tough and rugged vans.

Has anyone had a similar problem with breaking springs on these vans?

Any ideas suggestion would be appreciated..

Bob

post-1442-0-45071900-1408342392_thumb.jp

Hi Bob no have not had the same experience and difficult to comment on without knowing the following, road conditions, tyre pressure, was speed a factor and driving to conditions which is quiet often mentioned in the forum. Coming from a farming background I do not believe I have ever broken a spring on any of our farming equipment which was not always built to best standards. Sorry that I am unable to shed anymore light on the subject.

Warm regards

John

Hi Bob no have not had the same experience and difficult to comment on without knowing the following, road conditions, tyre pressure, was speed a factor and driving to conditions which is quiet often mentioned in the forum. Coming from a farming background I do not believe I have ever broken a spring on any of our farming equipment which was not always built to best standards. Sorry that I am unable to shed anymore light on the subject.

Warm regards

John

Hi John,

Thankyou for responding to my post. To answer your couple of questions:

The first spring broke 150km south of Birdsville on the track (first car came by after 5 hours!) Granted the road was not the best in sections though I only travelled at 60-70 kmph, never greater.

Tyre pressures were around 35psi though could have been lower maybe in hindsight.

Having been a bus operator in NSW for many years (22 buses)I do have an idea how to maintain and treat vehicles. I am not rough with anything, not even the missus!

With the buses as they aged some would have a spring sag, which I would have reset. Though never broken one even on the ones that did long distance charter on occasions.

The second spring broke approx. 12,000km later between St George and Goondiwindi in Sth QLD. After the Birdsville track or Mt Isa I did not travel on any further gravel roads. The road I was on at the time of the break it was beautiful bitumen and travelling at approx. 90-95kmph which is my usual maximum speed.

I purchased my van when 2 years old. The previous owners said they had broken a spring, unfortunately I did not ask which one as they said at the time it was a faulty manufacture and I did not pursue the conversation and I can no longer contact them. Therefore it is 3 spring breaks in approx.

25,000km.... not good!

I cannot believe that I am the only Kedron owner to have this problem

Thanks again

Bob

Hi Bob

Sorry to hear of your problem. I have to say I've not heard of any Kedrons experiencing broken springs. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but I've not heard of it nor found other posts on this topic.

Like you, we bought our van used. We've had no problems at all with the suspension despite taking it on the Central Aust outback roads, including recently Strzelecki, Birdsville and Oodnadatta tracks with a bunch of other Kedrons operating at similar speed and tyre pressures that you've quoted.

If you haven't yet done so I'd strongly suggest you discuss this with Tom and the Kedron service guys at Brendale. They'll be able to find out what's causing the problem, whether its faulty components or something wrong with your setup. They've been really helpful when we've had service issues or needed advice even though we didn't buy our van directly from them.

While I'm no expert in this area, it certainly seems strange that you've had multiple spring failures. Again, I've not heard of others with this problem, but Tom and the boys will know better. Let us know how you get on.

Regards, Andrew

I purchased a XC 2010 1 year ago and have just returned from a 15,000 km trip to various parts of AUS.

My van has the basic spring suspension made by 'Vehicle Components' in Brisbane. On this trip I broke 2 springs, both sides at rear at different times. Both springs (main) broke in the same place, approx. 3 inches (75mm) from the hanger pin on the rear end of the rear springs. I was not overloaded as I put the van on a weighbridge and was 200kgs under maximum.

I spoke to Kedron in Brisbane at the time of the first break and was told to call the manufacturer, Vehicle Components and told they will help you. They did, they sold me a new one each time. A rather poor response I thought from a manufacturer that prides itself on building tough and rugged vans.

Has anyone had a similar problem with breaking springs on these vans?

Any ideas suggestion would be appreciated..

Bob

Hi Bob

If they still exist on this web site you may find posts describing the saga I had with springs on my 2007 XC2 and cracked chassis fitted with a rock & roller suspension.

The springs were actually Alko and sagged around 25mm allowing the tyres to punch the inner guards breaking the seals with the body and causing a hell of a dust problem.

Kedron(David) offered to do something if I took the van from WA to QLD.

In co-operation with David and the chassis manufacturer (Can't remember their name) I designed and made a block 50 x 50 mm shs to weld a new suspension bracket set to from Industrial Springs Adelaide. IHS I understand were the origin desiners of the rock & roller suspension.

This new suspension has been great covering many thousands of km on dirt roads with out any signs of sagging.

I would suggest you call Indsustrial Springs and see what they can offer, you also may find their prices are atractive.
/>http://www.industrialsprings.com.au/

Cheers

John

Hi Bob

Sorry to hear of your problem. I have to say I've not heard of any Kedrons experiencing broken springs. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but I've not heard of it nor found other posts on this topic.

Like you, we bought our van used. We've had no problems at all with the suspension despite taking it on the Central Aust outback roads, including recently Strzelecki, Birdsville and Oodnadatta tracks with a bunch of other Kedrons operating at similar speed and tyre pressures that you've quoted.

If you haven't yet done so I'd strongly suggest you discuss this with Tom and the Kedron service guys at Brendale. They'll be able to find out what's causing the problem, whether its faulty components or something wrong with your setup. They've been really helpful when we've had service issues or needed advice even though we didn't buy our van directly from them.

While I'm no expert in this area, it certainly seems strange that you've had multiple spring failures. Again, I've not heard of others with this problem, but Tom and the boys will know better. Let us know how you get on.

Regards, Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the response and advice. I is good to hear that Kedrons have travelled the same roads without problems as I intend to head back that way next year via Strzelecki and Oodnadatta tracks once I have this problem fixed.

I will again give Kedron a call and see what they have to say. Their response when I was stuck in Birdsville (when Joe Hockey's budget was released!) was rather ordinary I thought. I more wanted to know of other similar experiences to mine before possibly pressuring them to help.

Thanks again

Bob

Hi Bob

If they still exist on this web site you may find posts describing the saga I had with springs on my 2007 XC2 and cracked chassis fitted with a rock & roller suspension.

The springs were actually Alko and sagged around 25mm allowing the tyres to punch the inner guards breaking the seals with the body and causing a hell of a dust problem.

Kedron(David) offered to do something if I took the van from WA to QLD.

In co-operation with David and the chassis manufacturer (Can't remember their name) I designed and made a block 50 x 50 mm shs to weld a new suspension bracket set to from Industrial Springs Adelaide. IHS I understand were the origin desiners of the rock & roller suspension.

This new suspension has been great covering many thousands of km on dirt roads with out any signs of sagging.

I would suggest you call Indsustrial Springs and see what they can offer, you also may find their prices are atractive.
/>http://www.industrialsprings.com.au/

Cheers

John

Hi again John,

Thanks for this info it may be very useful as these guys (according to their website)have had 70 years experience in suspensions and I would think they have learned something in this period of time.

As I have just said to Andrew above I will contact Kedron again after this bit of research in finding any other experiences out there like mine. Though it is looking like I may be Robinson Crusoe!

Thanks

Bob