Central Road

Guest 10Para

Guest 10Para

Hi all we are over in WA at the moment and are thinking of travelling back to the east via the Central road around the end of july has anu taken a van across recently or would like to covoy up for the trip with a Phoenix.

Regards

10 para

Hi para 10,

we traveled on the great central road last year july and found it worthwhile. As you are prb aware gravel top,

sometimes rather corrigated but overall good. Fuel is avaiable.we camped at Warberton caravan park good stop.

In hindsite we recon we did it to fast however the locals won't allow you to bush camp. A worthwhile trip and seeing the Olgas at dusk was just fantastic.You will need to get a permit ,phone number in camps 4 book, costs nothing a bit strange but thats the way it is.

happy travels John and Jo :thumbsup:

Guest 10Para

Hi John & Jo thanks for the info, if the locals will not let one camp over how many locals are there over 1200k's do they partol the area. Did you have just the one stop or several. We ahve always wanted to do the road as it is one of the few major trakes that we have not done and no doubt it will soon be all black top.

Brian & Barb

Hi Brian & Barb

Three of us have just completed a return trip Perth - Ayres Rock - Perth last month... on Kawasaki's :shades: . We did the Gunbarrel heading east and the entire Great Central Road coming home. The GCR was in quite good condition, being excellent in some parts with grading happening west of Tjukarilya and east of Docker River. From previous trips I've done on the GCR (Prado + camper trailer), the road does detiorate somewhat (ie corrugations) with the increased tourist traffic over the winter period. That said, it still shouldn't present a problem for your Phoenix.

As J & J said, camping is not officially permitted along most of the GCR though it seems to be tolerated and from my own observations most people do seem to discretely camp along the way. If you plan to have a Q.L.D. (quiet little drink) in the evening, make sure you are very, very discrete. Quite rightly, the communities are absolutely against alcohol in their lands. May I suggest empties are probably best disposed of at Yulara and not at fuel servo's on the GCR.

I agree that Warburton has a good camp ground behind the fuel servo.

Good luck with the trip.

Shane W.

(First post! I'll do an intro next post)