Gulf Track and Burke Developmental Road

Bruce and Sue

Hi All,

We are heading north with the intention of including the Gulf Track and Burke Developmental Road in our plans between June and September this year. In reading notes on ExploreOz they talk about the Bulldust particularly on the Burke Road. I have never driven in bulldust before and wonder if I should give this area a miss. I am not afraid to give things a go. We will be pulling a 21ft ATV with a 100 series Cruiser. What advise or tips are out there? We also plan to go as far as Weipa,time permitting. Cheers,

Bruce :thumbsup:

G'day Bruce

we got quite a bit of bulldust experience while we were living at Alice Springs. It can be quite tricky on several levels:

. It can be quite boggy

. It can hide some pretty large rocks that you won't see until you've hit them

. The bulldust will get into your van, it's just the amount that will vary

Having said that, we always got through and were lucky enough to not have any damage. The trick is to go fast enough to avoid getting bogged, but slow enough to maintain control.

I wouldn't change plans if I were you (in fact we'll probably come across you out there somewhere). Just take it easy and if necessary, wait until someone else has gone through if you are concerned about particularly bad looking patches.

Cheers

Russ