Dometic diesel heater pumps

RickA

G,`Day All

We are currently in Adelaide ,it is fairly cool here so we turned on our Deisel heater.Guess what? he no want to work . We contacted local Dometic dealer Dario Caravans to check it out.Turns out the pump was nackered.He said that ours was the 5th pump he had replaced in about 5 weeks inc. one chap was on his 3rd.When he bought it to the attention of Dometic they did not want to know.Now with mine and another one tomorrow he feels they can no longer ignore it. :confused: Has anybody else amongst the

Kedron group had a problem with them.Rumour has it that they are built to handle Euro deisel as opposed to OZ deisel and that could be the problem.Any comments.

Yes we have advised Kedron.

Rick & Lea

:helpsmilie:

and as david and i discovered at wallumbilla it isnt that hard a job.

Just take your time and its easy as we discovered

Kimbo

I had the same problem with mine. Used the heater once and it failed. I tracked it down to the pump and advised Dometic. They posted a new pump to Perth and had their local warranty agent fit it, no problem.

I also had problems with the stays on the Dometic windows and they didn't want to know about it. After a phone call for help to Ashley at Kedron their attitude changed for the better and the stays were repaired/replaced.

David & Jane

Yes ,thats the first thing we did, it was clogged but after cleaning the filter the pump still did not work.

Rick & Lea

Hi Bruce

As it was my first attempt at cleaning it I will still try to explain but I may be wrong as well if so hopefully someone will correct what I did to mine ??

we removed the little pump from under the van and on the intake side when you remove that you will see a small white filter you remove that VERY carefully and we washed that and put the whole lot back together making sure that the pum p was back in at the same angle it was removed at and then just kept firing the heater up till the fuel went back thru the lines and all has been good since.

PS make sure that you turn the fuel line off at the tap at the bottom of the fuel tank before disconnecting the lines from the pump.

Really it was quite simple just follow youe nose so to speak LOL

David might jump in here as well as he was helping me and it was also his 1st go at it as well thought he would try it on my van before he needed to do his LOL

Regards

David might jump in here as well as he was helping me and it was also his 1st go at it as well thought he would try it on my van before he needed to do his LOL

That sounds like an invitation...

Hi Bruce,

Kimbo has described it pretty well. And as he said, it's easier if someone else does the under van work for you, hey Kimbo :shutup:

The filter is on the intake side of the pump and is a really fine plastic mesh. It's squeezed pretty tight inside the intake, so we found it easier to remove the pump and perform the operation with the pump removed, and I'm glad we did otherwise we'd still be there! As Kimbo, said the pump is easy to remove, so not a problem.

A couple of things to watch out for:

1. Make sure you take note of the installation angle and you reinstall at the same angle. I think it's 17 deg if I remember correctly from the manual when I read it about 2 years ago.
  2. Kimbo removed the filter as I didn't want to break anything on him, so he's the expert there, but it was a bit fiddly prising the filter out, but it does come out in one piece if you take care.

Kimbo, it's always better to try it on someone else's van before your own in case it wasn't meant to come apart that way or at all! :biggrin:

What's the next tutorial, Kimbo? ;-)