What Jack Do You Carry?

Pete and Tracey

Hi Everyone,

Been thinking of purchasing a 5t bottle jack to facilitate changing a flat if needed.

What size jack does everone carry? I would of thought that a jack would of been supplied with the van, have not come accross one yet!!??

When jacking do you place the jack under the wheen axle of the trailing arm? Something Kedron did not go through when delivered.

Greatfull for any comments.

G'day Pete and Tracey,

I just take the scissor jack that came with the vehicle. My reasoning is that if I get a flat in the van (which is almost 3500Kg loaded), then the ball weight of about 320Kg plus half of the overall weight remaining (about 3200Kg/2 = 1600Kg) is taken care of. That means that in theory I should only have to jack 1600Kg.

With the load sharing suspension it should be feasible to lift the affected wheel off the ground while the remaining good wheel takes approximately half of the remaining weight. (Or so I have been informed by a bloke who knows a lot more about these things than I do.) That means I only have to lift around 800Kg off the ground, which is exactly what my vehicle jack is designed to do. (Our vehicle weighs just over 800Kg per corner).

I have a fall-back scenario though. I have one of those hydraulic jacks in place of my jockey wheel and it is good for a tonne. Therefore between the two jacks I should have everything covered. Bottle jacks are heavy suckers and I wanted to avoid carrying one. We're heavy enough as it is.

Cheers

Russ

:shades: I would use the bottle jack that comes with the Patrol

it would be heavy enough to lift the top ender.

That was my intention when we had the Patrol We now have upgraded to a 200 series and it also runs a bottle jack.

If I remember correctly Ash at Kedron suggested a hi lift jack but we never got around to purchasing one. Hope that helps

Rick.

Hi Pete & Tracey,

I carry the standard bottle jack from the 100 series and a 2 ton bottle jack for the van as well as a high lift jack on the spare wheel carrier. I'm of the belief that spare in everything is a must in case any one of the items fails or an extre one is need just in case.

Regards,

Kingy

Greetings Guy's

I have changed van wheels successfully with both the standard Nissan Jack and the standard 100 series jack.

Also carry a couple of squares of thick ply as a base on soft ground. Have found that the plastic ramps that I use to level the van are handy to run the flat wheel up onto to get some height before jacking (saves a lot of winding, same with the car in soft stuff :thumbsup:

Don't see a need to carry any more gear than that it works for us :smile:.

Best regards.

Mavis and Rod.