Toowoomba Range and Birdsville Track

Pete and Tracey

Hi Everyone,

Well....after doing a few short trips in the Kedron to familiarise ourselves we are ready to do a serious shakedown of the van. We are going to take a week off and head out to Birdsville. Last time we were there we shot through on the way across the Simpson and didn't have a good look around.

Everyone talks about dragging the van over the Toowoomba Ranges, we have had the van over Cunningham's Gap a few times and the Patrol did an alright job albeit slowly! Are the Toowoomba Ranges steeper, longer ? Or can I expect the same as Cunningham's Gap? I can't remember too much of the last time I drove over it as I just drove it! Now I have 3 tone on the back!

One last question....... When we hit the track and the dirt I am going to be running about 30 psi on the van tyres. How does that sound? What do other people run on those sort of roads? This will be my first time on that sort of road with the van, anything else to watch out for besides other people and speed??

Thanks for your insight and wisdom.

Peter and Tracey,

The Toowoomba range is shorter than Cunninghams Gap but steeper, especially the last half. QT have recently changed the speed zones so going slow isn't that much of a problem anymore. Just past the saddle it goes back to a 70k zone. We had no trouble pulling the XC up using the V8 cruiser.

Even though we live just out of town I actually prefer Cunninghams Gap if it fits in with the travel plans.

Guess I will find out when we pick up the new van in October how well the cruiser handles the range.

Have a safe trip.

cheers

Hi there Pete and Tracey.

Congratulations on your new van. We run between 28-30PSI on our Landcruiser and van on dirt roads and have not had any problems. You just need to drive at an appropriate speed and re-inflate your tyres back to normal pressures on the black top.

Have fun.

Peter :thumbsup:

(ATV42)