Battery Charger Problem

Alan and Liz Jones

Hi everyone,

I'm having problems with my battery charger ( Victron ce 12/40 Centaur ) in that when I have stored my van away in the shed and plug the 240v power in, the battery charger cooling fan keeps running 24/7. Can anyone tell me if this is normal, or should the unit shut down completly.

Cheers Alan

G'day Alan,

ours also runs the fan constantly when turned on. I think it's normal, though unnecessary, as it appears to run when there is almost no load at all. I put a thermometer inside it and the temperature doesn't get to anywhere near hot, even under full load, so I guess it's doing its job.

Cheers

Russ.

Hi Russ,

Thanks for the reply. It appears that this is normal, so I have put a 10watt solar panel on the roof of the shed and wired it in through the PL40 regulator to keep a trickle charge going into the batteries. I will monitor this for a while and if it does not keep the batteries up I will put a time in line on the charger to come on say once a week for 1 hour.

Cheers Alan