Check your drawbar

Winnecke

Hooked up to leave Bourke to travel along the Darling to Wilcannia, we stopped at the Supermarket for some last minute groceries. When I came back out there were 2 Aboriginal children aged about 2 and 3 playing on the drawbar. After putting the groceries in the Van I lifted them off and sent them on their way. I got into the car and after the usual fiddling about pulled out onto the road. Some Aboriginals were wheeling a disabled elder across the road. I waited for them to pass before doing a U-turn and passing another group. As I approached the main turn off I switched my camera on. It always defaults to the car rear view before I switch it to the caravan. My heart almost stopped. The screen was full of the jacket of the 2 year old. He was mounted on the front of the drawbar as if he was riding a horse, holding onto the tow bar equipment for dear life. He was terrified, I had trouble getting him to let go. Did I say he was terrifed..it was probably nothing to what I felt, and what I still feel every time I think about it. Another minute or so and I would have been accelerating..and if I hadn't had the camera...??

John,

What an awful fright that must have given you. Glad no disaster came from it as I don't think you'd ever recover from something like that.

Shows the benefit of a reversing camera though. You need to have eyes everywhere with little ones about.

Wow what a nightmare story

So glad it turned out for you both.

Regards.

Mavis and Rod