Buying a GPS

Frank n Di

HI all, I am looking to buy a GPS, Stero, Bluetooth, cd player etc in a 2 din, I have looked at the AVNC 3000 from Gpsoz and at $2,300 with looks a lot like this unit from ebay item number No 250499583499, but that has no maps, I would like an all in one as it reduces clutter on the dash/ cab, I prefer to have everything on the front panel and no sliding screen, etc the GPSOZ unit is very expensive and i have heard there are a few people on here that use ozi, So i guess the question is, IS this unit suitable for running maps etc , i am just not sure which way to go. and if this type of unit is the right way to go.

Hi Frank n Di

I have recently purchased the AVNC 3000 from Olbis here in Brisbane and absolutely love it. I primarily wanted it to run OziExplorer and was looking for an in-dash unit. I was over cables running all over the place and things stuck on windscreens that you need to remove every time you left the vehicle in shopping centres etc.

It has a turn-by-turn GPS (iGo) DVD player, MP3 player, radio, bluetooth for mobile phone, reverse camera, CD player...and a few others I can't think of right now, but I'm sure you've already investigated all that.

As for the cost - yes it is expensive, but on our upcoming trip to the Kimberley next year it will prove invaluable. To me it is worth every cent. I only wish we had it installed for our last Cape trip.

There are a couple of other members of the forum who also have this unit and if you're in the Brisbane area and would like to see it firsthand, I'd be happy to show it to you.

As for the eBay one you are looking at, I can't really comment - it looks good and reads good, but from my experience you get what you pay for. It would be good if you could get in touch with someone who has bought one of those for their feedback.

As an afterthought, you could join http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/OziUsers-L/ which is an OziExplorer forum and post a question to the group about the unit you are looking at. Someone might just have one, or at least give you the feedback you're looking for about running Ozi on a similar unit to the AVNC.

Thanks for that link Webby , i will repost the question there as well, did the unit look the same as yours? I finally found out it does have a windows ce 5.0 system, I have a GPS Garmin 250w and it didnt have some of the tracks up in the dampier peninsular, and we were following some people who had a HP with i think ozi on it and it had the tracks from middle lagoon to beagle bay etc, however i didnt get a chance to find out what they did and again they had leads running everywhere, so that is why i want to clean it all up, just didnt want a $2300 clean up

No, the unit is totally different to the AVNC unit. The unit on eBay looks like it ejects and flips the screen, whereas my AVNC is a double din screen set into the dash.

I guess OziExplorer is only as good as the supply of maps that you have, and it sounds like the people you followed had a good supply of maps.

Hi Frank & Di,

I did this exercise a while ago....one thing you need to consider is do you want or have a camera on the rear of your van?. If yes .... wth the AVNC unit you cant have the audio system (CD/Radio) operating ('in the backgroud') while you are using the rear camera on the van....something that I tend to do when ever I'm towing the van

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

I too have a VMS and have found it a great unit. I purchased from Olbis in Brisbane and they have been great with support. i run OziExplorer for the maps and iGo for the road.

Mate of mine at work purchased a unit from China (where all these unist originate) and had it fitted by Hyundi. The unit he ordered is for his model car and fit exactly into the dash as though it was factory. The site seems to be legit as they had it in his hands within a week via UPS. I am looking at upgrading the mine to the 7000 series via these mob. http://www.chinacargps.com/

I also noticed that the 7000 series that VMS are offering is on the site as well for a fraction of the price of the VMS unit.

Cheers.