Brake temperatures

carlsp1000

This morning we did the decent from Hanging Rock to Nundle. This would be the steepest decent I have done to date with the Kedron and the 200 landcruiser. So I was keen to get a reading on the brake tempretures. If this road is not known to you, it is steeper that Cunningham Gap, the Gatton to Toowoomba, or Climb to Dorriago.

The climb and decent is about 4.8 kilometers with three 25 kph bends. We towed a 22.5 ft ATV2 with a empty weight of 3100 kg (you can work out the full weight). The tow vehicle is a 200 series TD. We made it 80% up before the engine oil high temp light came on. After a short stop the remainder was completed in low 1 at 20 kph.

Decent was made at about 30 kph and tempretures at the bottom were, front discs in excess 200, back dics 166, front drums on the caravan 122 and the rear drums 153.

These numbers probably do not mean much but may be helpful in the future as a reference.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have a 76 series Turbo diesel V8 manual towing 19.6 Ft internal TE and have not had any trouble with the hill to Hanging Rock. My luck I presume is from have manual gears for the use of using the engine as a brake to assist on down hill descents. The climb was achieved by staying in 2nd gear H/R for the duration and no problems Tonka Trucks are good

Tex