Single beds dilemma

Ken and Christine

Hello everyone,

We have a 21ft 6in ATV on order with the L spaped front kitchen, single beds and full ensuite at the back. We went for this configuration because wifey wants a big kitchen (she loves cooking using basic ingregients so needs lots of room to prepare great food)and lots of living space and lots of storage. The single beds layout is the best to satisfy these requirements without getting into a huge and heavy van. Unfortunately you get less cuddles in a single bed. Some manufacturers claim that single bed vans have a poor resale. We would appreciate comments from experienced caravaners re single beds verses double bed layouts.

Thanks,

Ken and Christine

Hi Ken & Christine,

Single beds work for us, several reasons.....

1. We have three external lockers on the left hand side if we had a double bed you would have to climb over the lockers to get into bed.

2. I believe that having single beds gives you more room for dressing & moving around at that end of the van.

3. On several occasions now I have taken dad away with me for a trip....as much as I love my old man I dont want to sleep with him.

4. Accessing the 'hanging' cupboard is easier as it is between the beds.

5. Kisses & cuddles still happen... even with single beds!

Only one negative it took a little while to work out a routine on making the beds, each morning just pull up & tuck in as required but when changing sheets, use fitted sheets & I 'pull' the mattress off the base towards the 'centre' of the van, fit the sheets then slide the matress back into place.... this works well for us....oh & we use doonas not blankets.

Dont know if your getting a cafe lounge or L shaped if cafe suggest you consider getting trifold table or if L shaped make sure it can swing back over the lounge both of these 'mods' will give you more room to move around.

Post your floor plan for more feedback ( we all want to have a sticky beak)

Hi Ken & Christine

We have had single beds in both Kedrons over the last 5yrs.,and we have never had problem making it across that vast gap between beds for a "cuddle" :) You also get a lot more storage room accessible from the outside. Also welcome to the world of Keddy owners.

Cheers

Rick & Lea ;)

Hi Ken & Christine,

Single beds work for us, several reasons.....

1. We have three external lockers on the left hand side if we had a double bed you would have to climb over the lockers to get into bed.

2. I believe that having single beds gives you more room for dressing & moving around at that end of the van.

3. On several occasions now I have taken dad away with me for a trip....as much as I love my old man I dont want to sleep with him.

4. Accessing the 'hanging' cupboard is easier as it is between the beds.

5. Kisses & cuddles still happen... even with single beds!

Only one negative it took a little while to work out a routine on making the beds, each morning just pull up & tuck in as required but when changing sheets, use fitted sheets & I 'pull' the mattress off the base towards the 'centre' of the van, fit the sheets then slide the matress back into place.... this works well for us....oh & we use doonas not blankets.

Dont know if your getting a cafe lounge or L shaped if cafe suggest you consider getting trifold table or if L shaped make sure it can swing back over the lounge both of these 'mods' will give you more room to move around.

Post your floor plan for more feedback ( we all want to have a sticky beak)

Hello Tony,

Thanks for the comments. Our last van was a 21ft ATV with front queen bed and we sold it because there was not enough kitchen bench space and wifey hated climbing over the BBQ box. This box makes the bed difficult to access and make. We also had limited over head cupboards for storage. Our new layout should solve these issues. We will have a cafe dinette with a wide trifold table. Whilst we would like more external access doors the wheel arch gets in the way. We also propose using a front boot hatch door on the RH side to allow the storage of longer objects under that side bed. I will endeavour to post our layout on the owners forum. We have until september to make any changes to our layout.

Ken and Christine

Hi Tony,

Single beds are the go for all the reasons that those before me have given. Visiting rights remain! You get more space, more stroage and a better sleep with single beds. Gayleen and I would NEVER go back to a queen dopuble!

Regards