Drinking Water Filter

morribm

Hi All,

Just wondering if there is something new about the Snap-On water filter replacement cartridges?

As you know, the replacement filter cartridges are unreasonably expensive and in to all intents and purposes, available only from Kedron. Sure, they offer to post them anywhere but at about $100+ (incl postage) that's a far cry from the much more friendly pricing for just about any other filter cartridge on the market.

I've been using a B.E.S.T external filter as well when filling the drinking water tank but sooner or later the filter cartridge is going to need replacing. I have considered replacing the filter in its entirety i.e. new housing and new cartridge (and probably new plumbing) but in the longer term, this may well be more financially reasonable than the very unreasonable cost for the Snap-On filter cartridge.

Cheers

Brian

Brian,

We swapped ours out for a double filter with 0.2 micron final filter.

Water filtered better, flows faster and cheaper to replace cartridges and more easily obtainable.

I installed the filter in the pump cupboard and gained cupboards space back under the sink.

A little re-plumbing required but worth it.

Hi folks

I have tried a BEST filter but ditched it when I noticed black particles coming from it, and it was not that old.

I then modified an under-sink double filter which I used to filter the water going into the tanks, as well as for the mains pressure water. And of course the water from the drinking water outlet on the sink was filtered by the filter under the sink in the van, so it was filtered into and from the drinking water tank.

I then got to thinking about the need to put the water for the house tanks through a filter when it is only used for washing up and showering etc. As well, the flow/pressure of water going through the double filter was restricted. The only water needed to be filtered is what you drink.

With a bit of replumbing, mains pressure water for house use remains unfiltered but drinking water is filtered by the filter under the sink.

The same applies to tank water.

The Alpine snap on type filters are available from Aqua Fresh at Michelton and they will post free to anywhere.

Regards

Barry

Hi Barry

For what its worth, I noticed the same filter cartridges used by Kedron at the local Reece plumbing store recently. No idea about price but possibly cheaper than from Kedron.

I also use a BEST filter when in remote areas and find it works fine. Regarding black discharge, I think this is normal on initial connection when it flushes any residual junk plus a bit of charcoal from the filter. I just run a few litres through it before connecting to the caravan.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards, Andrew

As Barry said, you can get them from Aqua Fresh in Mitchelton, Qld. (Suburb of Brisbane)

The part no. is SLC-230-1C-A and they're $85.00 thru the website or $98.00 if you order over the phone. Either way it's free shipping.

The website is Aqua Fresh

Hi all,

We have put an inline filter in the external hose as well as the standard drinking water filter under the sink. This is to combat, to some extent anyway, filling the watertanks with bore water when nothing else is available. Remember that your water heater draws from the other tanks and I doubt bore water is good for it....

Regards

Chris