Mesh Stone Guard Mounted On Drawbar

Bruce and Sue

Hi Bruce,

I installed 2 rubber mud flaps on the bottom of the stone guard.

On our trip to Birdsville I went one step further and connected shade cloth between the stone guard and truck. This worked a treat however the stone guard was not wide enough and stones got through to the edges of the van.

You can see the mud build up on the flaps. This would have ended up on the van without them.

post-12-1216124641_thumb.jpg

Sorry, I dont have a more detailed pic.

post-12-1216124727_thumb.jpg

The other pic shows the Rocktamers I bought at the Brisbane Caravan Show this year.

My answer is YES. Others would disagree.

Rosco

:thumbsup:

Hi Bruce,

We haven't been outback yet but have done a fair bit of dirt work around SEQ and after having a good look at the Rocktamers at the show, I am currently looking at making a set of rubber flaps that will tuck in just under the rear bumper on the cruiser. The design I am looking at will mount on the square block of the HR which means they will be easily removed when the hitch is taken off. Running out of time but would like them made before we go on our next weekend out. :confused:

Laurie

Hi Bruce,

Well I found the time and made the gaurds for the rear of the cruiser, changed my mind from the other day. Have put some photo's in the gallery under "Rascal". I had everything at home except the 50x19 box and the 50x3 flat to attach the flaps and paint total cost $35.00.

The flaps are made from 600 mm conveyor belt with a bit of tyre black cut at 500mm long. The mounting block was made from a 150 x 150 x 8 plate (don't look to close at the welding).

I ended up mounting it using the top two holes on the hitch set up, this will allow the unit to be removed without having to take the van or tow bar off.

Will have to test it to see how effective it is but compared to our last two outings with the small stones and dirt going back hitting the front of the van outside the mesh screen. Version 1, I anticipate some slight modifications once I get it dirty.

Laurie :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bruce,

We've added rubber flaps to the stone guard to stop stones thrown up from the vehicle. On a trip to Birdsville "stone blasted" the front jacks and chassis.

We'll be looking at the "rock tamers' mentioned in the replies when we get out of the WA Goldfields in the next few months as we were having problems connecting flaps to the Cruiser. These would assist in stopping stones bouncing back off the stoneguard onto the rear window ... more dollars

Cheers

Jan & Les

"thetintenters"

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bruce,

I found that when I did a tight turn towing with my Nissan Patrol Ute the stone guard rubbed against the tray and tore a hole in the mesh so I removed it. Didn't appear to get too much damage to the front of the van on the Birdsville track but like others the front legs took a pounding. The plastic feet are lying somewhere on the road between Birdsville and Maree. Underneath the drawbar was completely sandblasted clean. Had to re-galvanize it when we got home but none of that damage would have been prevented by the mesh stone guard anyway and it was a pain to get around it when loading or unloading the front boot so I think :thumbsup: we are better off without it

Fieldsie.