Hema Navigator v Vms touring

Bruce and Sue

Greetings Bruce and Sue

We have just done the first trip with our Hema and it is brilliant. The street program was invaluable navigating around the art galleries and attractions at Broken Hill. The Hema maps were easy to read and follow. If you have Ozexplorer you will find route planning easy, if not it dosn't take long to learn.

It came with all hema off road maps pre loaded and was superb to use.

Good luck deciding.

Mavis and Rod :thumbsup:

I'm looking at going down this path towards the end of the year myself.

Perhaps Madog might have something to add as I believe he might be a bit of an expert on this.

Hi Bruce and Sue,

We have been running the VMS AVNC for the last 12 months and prior to that many years with laptops mounted in the Landcruiser running Ozi Explorer - we are OziExplorer devotees so this answer may be a bit slanted.

The VMS Touring 500 must be very new as this is the first I have heard of it however Google as usual provides much info. This unit looks good however for me it seems to be very limited in what maps can be utilised - seems you are in the hands of VMS on this one with their proprietry topo maps apparently the only maps that can be used (from what I have read).

An OziExplorer empowered device like VMS AVNC, Hema Navigator (also made by VMS) or even a laptop with a GPS attached gives an unlimited range of maps, even those you may wish to scan and calibrate yourself; however this degree of compexity might not be what you want.

Motor vehicle GPS navigation systems are really tearing along at an enormous pace however for those who wish to do any sort of serious offroad or even "outback" touring, none of these new gizmos without OziExplorer or any other digital mapping system (there are other digital mapping systems, however in my experience OziExplorer is by far the most widely used and supported) installed are pretty much hopeless once you get away from footpaths and street lights.

Go to http://www.smartersafety.com.au/oziexplorer.html for some info on OziExplorer that will assist or perhaps confuse. Good luck!

Hi Rodger,

Thank you for your reply,the VMS touring 500 is a new machine. I have been led to believe that this machine came about because Hema and VMS have had a tiff. As a consequence they have fallen out of bed. As of today none of the Hema retailers in Tassie have Navigator stock,machines will be available mid May so I wiil be able to buy before we head to the North Island in June.

Thank you or your input,

Cheers,

Bruce :thumbsup: