Restrictions in service for RACQ members with large cars and/or vans

Mrs Lynn Astill

Hi all,

I have had the following discussions (and attachments) with the RACQ in relation to towing/recovery restrictions for certain sized vehicles and caravans. You may well already be aware of this, but I wasn't. It's best to know these things before expecting service I think so other arrangements can be made. (Sorry about the length...........)

Regards

Chris

> > -----Original Message-----

> >

> > From: *********@hotmail.com

> >

> > Sent: Tuesday, 16 February 2010 3:32 PM

> >

> > To: racq

> >

> > Subject: WEBSITE CONTACT FORM - *********@hotmail.com

> >

> > COMMENTS

> >

> > To: Membership and/or Product Manager

> >

> > My partner and I are nearing retirement age and we are purchasing a large Kedron caravan (19'int)and Landcruiser 200 series for touring this great country of ours. Imagine my shock when I find that the RACQ that I have been a member of for 37 years will not cover my private vehicle and/or caravan for towing or recovery because they exceed your carefully guarded arbitrary weight limits. These limits I would think would prevent most touring caravanners from accessing the services that their club is purporting to provide(unless you read the fine print that is).

> >

> > It seems to me and many others in the same situation (and probably blissfully unaware)that you are discriminating against the very people that have supported you all these years. I only happened onto this situation when reading a caravanning forum. Needless to say your response will be noted there and on many other appropriate forums accordingly.

> >

> > For your reference, our vehicle has a tare weight of 2700kg and a gvm of 3580kg. Our van has a tare weight of 2850kg and an atm of 3500kg. This is hardly rare!!!.

> >

> > I eagerly await your reply.

> >

> > Kind regards

> >***************

> > To: *********@hotmail.com

> > CC: csmembership@racq.com.au

> > Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 09:52:34 +1000

> > Subject: RE: RACQ Contact Form

> >

> > Hello Mr ******,

> >

> > Thank you for your message and the opportunity to respond.

> >

> > As you have identified in your correspondence, the RACQ does place restrictions on the dimensions of vehicles for the delivery of roadside assistance. Our ability to provide roadside assistance - especially towing and recovery services - to large vehicles and caravans is physically limited by the size of our tow trucks and recovery vehicles.

> >

> > We are currently investigating new research and development options that will allow us to provide enhanced services to larger vehicles and caravans as we recognise that many models exceed our current limits.

> >

> > Your vehicle with GVM of 3580kg is still eligible to receive roadside assistance under your Ultra Care membership, however some limitations would apply. In addition, as an Ultra Care member, you can access special towing benefits up to $250pa that could be used should you require towing.

> >

> > I hope that this information has been of use to you. If you would like further details or clarification on any of the points above, I encourage you to contact us on 13 1905 (24 hours), by return email or by visiting one of our branches (see the following link for your closest location: http://www.racq.com.au/about_us/contact_us/service_locator).

> >

> > We thank you for your support of the organisation and wish you happy motoring in the future.

> >

> > Kind regards

> >

> > RACQ Membership Team

> >

> >

> > The Royal Automobile Club of Queensland

> >

> > PO Box 4 Springwood QLD 4127

> > All Inquiries: 13 1905

> > Road Service: 13 1111

> > Email: membership@racq.com.au<mailto:membership@racq.com.au

> Sent: Wednesday, 17 February 2010 11:10 AM

> To: Membership

> Subject: RE: RACQ Contact Form

> Hi,

>

> Thank you for your timely reply, although I must admit I was a little disappointed that you chose to remain anonymous.... not very good manners or confidence building.

>

> Would there be any advantage in the given circumstances for me to upgrade to your "Ultimate Care" membership? If so, what would they be?

>

> What is the anticipated time frame for a decision of increasing the towing limitations that apply to your care packages? I ask this as I am in the process of renewing my annual membersip and I would like to make sure I select the package most suitable for me.

>

> Kind regards

>

> **********

> From: Membership@racq.com.au

> To: ***********@hotmail.com

> Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 18:01:48 +1000

> Subject: RE: RACQ Contact Form

>

> Hello Mr ******,

>

> Thank you again for your correspondence received regarding your RACQ roadside assistance.

>

> My apologies if the anonymity of the last message was interpreted as 'bad manners', however we have a team of people who respond to our members through this mailbox. It is often preferable not to include names in case we are not the next person that you will deal with via this channel. If it provides your with additional confidence, I can confirm that my name is Jenny and I am the Product Coordinator in RACQ's Membership Department.

>

> RACQ Ultimate was launched in June 2009 as our new top-level roadside assistance product. It shares similar features to your current Ultra Care membership in that it provides benefits to you personally as the RACQ member, and also to any driver of your nominated vehicle. Free attendance to a breakdown site is provided up to 200km (100km under Ultra Care), with 100km free towing in any direction (50km under Ultra Care) or 200km to the nearest available RACQ Contracted Service Provider (120km under Ultra). The annual limit on benefits that can be provided under RACQ Ultimate are $7000, whereas this is limited to $3300 with Ultra Care.

>

> For your reference, I will note now that similar limitations apply on vehicle dimensions for this product.

>

> If you like, I can send you some product brochures that more fully explain the product entitlements and restrictions. Alternatively, you may wish to speak further with one of our Consultants over the phone at 13 1905 or by visiting one of our branches.

>

> I am unable to provide a certain time frame for amending the restrictions placed on vehicle dimensions for our roadside assistance memberships, however I can confirm that this will not take place before your subscription renewal.

>

> I hope that this information has been of use to you, again I would encourage you to speak with one of our Consultants to seek further details on your roadside assistance options if required.

>

> Kind regards

*******, Product Coordinator

> RACQ Membership Team

>

> The Royal Automobile Club of Queensland

> PO Box 4 Springwood QLD 4127

> All Inquiries: 13 1905

> Road Service: 13 1111

> Email: membership@racq.com.au<mailto:membership@racq.com.au>

> ________________________________

Sent: Thursday, 18 February 2010 8:59 AM

To: Membership

Subject: RE: RACQ Contact Form

Hi ******,

Thank you for your reply. I really do appreciate your taking the time to answer my enquiry personally. It's good to know that you are dealing with a real person in these days of computer generated letters/emails.

Is it possible that you could provide me with the exact weight restrictions (in kgs) that currently apply to towing, and/or recovery of vehicles and/or caravans under the Ultra and Ultimate care products? Do either of these care products provide a level of reimbursement for the cost of towing etc should your service provider be unable to tow and/or recover the relevant vehicle and/or caravan?

It would be interesting to know how many of your members with similar "heavy" vehicles are aware of the restrictions placed on their membership services. Perhaps it would be useful to for you to publish this information more readily or even advise the member at the time of their vehicle "change" of these restrictions in order to avoid these misunderstandings.

Kind regards

Hello Mr ******,

Thank you for your reply. As requested, please find below a table that details the benefits and restrictions for our Ultra Care and RACQ Ultimate products:

Limitations

Ultra Care

RACQ Ultimate

Provision of roadside assistance and towing of vehicles

4000kg (4T) GVM

4000kg (4T) GVM

Provision of roadside assistance and towing of caravans

4000kg (4T) GVM

7.0m (23ft) long including drawbar

Excludes fifth-wheelers

4000kg (4T) GVM

7.0m (23ft) long including drawbar

Excludes fifth-wheelers

Recovery

5.5m (18ft) long

2.3m (7.5ft) wide

2.0m (6.5ft) high

2500kg (2.5T) GVM

Please note that Ultra Care does not provide for caravan recovery, only vehicle recovery.

5.5m (18ft) long

2.3m (7.5ft) wide

2.0m (6.5ft) high

3000kg (3T) GVM

RACQ Ultimate provides for both caravan and vehicle recovery.

Reimbursement options

$165pa for special towing

$250pa for special towing

Notes

Definition of special towing: where towing services cannot be provided due to the inaccessibility of your vehicle or the need for special equipment that exceeds the free entitlement under Club Care membership, Ultra Care or RACQ Ultimate will pay a maximum annual entitlement for these additional services.

Unit of measurement: RACQ uses GVM (Gross Vehicle Mass) to measure the weight of vehicles. This is the legal fully loaded weight of the vehicle. If you are unsure of your vehicle’s GVM, you can check your vehicle handbook that would have been provided at sale, look it up online or it may be displayed on your vehicle’s registration sticker.

Difference between towing and recovery: towing is where we would load the vehicle onto the tray of a tow truck for transport, where recovery would normally require the vehicle to be loaded onto a car carrier. The best option would be discussed with you and arranged by the RACQ Consultant assisting you in that specific situation.

I've also attached a fact sheet that is available at our braches that demonstrates what service can be provided to caravans / trailers under RACQ Ultimate. This tool is useful in explaining the sort of service that RACQ can provide where a member's vehicle or caravn may exceed limits.

As previously stated, our ability to provide roadside assistance - especially towing and recovery services - to large vehicles and caravans is physically limited by the size of our tow trucks and recovery vehicles. We recognise that as caravans and vehicles grow in size we are not able to provide all aspects of roadside assistance to these large vehicles.

I'd like to thank you for providing this feedback and would like to keep these comments on file as we continue to develop our roadside assistance capabilities. We are committed to providing the best service possible to our members and this is definitely an area where we can focus our efforts in future.

Again, please let me know if you require further information or would like copies of our product brochures posted out to you. Alternatively, you may wish to contact us on 13 1905 (24 hours), by return email or by visiting one of our branches (see the following link for your closest location: http://www.racq.com.au/about_us/contact_us/service_locator).

Kind regards

RACQ Membership Team

The Royal Automobile Club of Queensland

PO Box 4 Springwood QLD 4127

All Inquiries: 13 1905

Road Service: 13 1111

Email: membership@racq.com.au<mailto:membership@racq.com.au

Ultimate_Caravan___Trailer_Assistance_July_09_1_.pdf

Hi all.

Have to say that we have had the use of RACQ's sister organization the NRMA in NSW without fault.

The need arose when our 2000 model 3L Nissan Patrol blew the engine ( as the early models do) on our way home after 7 glorious months on the road.

This happened about 30kms out from Merriwa near Newcastle.

The gentleman with the recovery truck loaded our poor dead Nissan which was fully laden ( weight unknown but obviously heavy).

This guy made the statement then that they were not supposed to tow vans but after I had fitted our tow ball to his truck he did transport the van to the van park in Merriwa (with the car on the truck) luckily.

Guess we were lucky.

Hi

as some of you already know, we had to call on our RACQ insurance and ultra care membership when the axle on our van came adrift approx 10ks before Glen Helen on the Merreenie Loop which is quite a distance from Alice Springs. Our van then was only a 16' single axle pop top. I'm pretty sure that we were aware that there was a restriction on weight and length of recovery due more to what is available when and where you break down. Our ultra membership didn't cover the full cost of recovery due to the distance, but our insurance covered the rest.

Between the ultra care and insurance, what could have been a disastrous end to our holiday ended well due to how well RACQ took care of us. They ended up transporting our van back to Kedron and took care of our accommodation in Alice Springs while we waited a week (and finished our sightseeing) for the decision to be made on our van. RACQ would contact us every day to ensure that all was well.

Due to the fact that we were also in a 4wd club, RACQ was the only reasonable insurance company to cover us on designated 4wd tracks in 4wd parks, which they did on a couple of occassions without question. I think there was one other insurance company, but they wanted double RACQs rates.

We also had friends who found themselves in a situation in Adelaide due to the husband having heart issues and spending time in hospital. He wasn't allowed to drive his car and pop up camper home and the wife wasn't comfortable driving the manual nissan, so once again they were taken care of by RACQ - car and van shipped home to Brisbane.

So we have nothing but praise for RACQ :thumbsup:

Cheers

Deb & Glen B

Hi all,

Please don't misunderstand me, I have only ever had excellent dealings with the RACQ and would recommend membership to anyone. I have no intention off cancelling my membership as a result of this disclosure. I have only put this item on the forum so that people are aware that there are restrictions and that it may be necessary to have ather arrangements in place should the need arise.

Regards

Chris.

Hi Chris, We don't have RACQ Insurance but do have Ultra Care as you may or may not have heard last year I jackknifed our 100 series cruiser into a bridge on Sandy creek Road near Kilcoy.I phoned RACQ and they got in touch with RACQ Kilcoy Towing and within an hour the car was on the tilt tray the van behind being towed and in their holding yard. Then 3 days later the van was on the tilt tray and taken to Kedron. Our van is a 20' ATV. Must have something to do with the area your in and if the closest RACQ Towing company has something capable of taking a large van.

King.