Cape York Conditions

Tolley

Hello Koggers,

I am sitting under a tree at the mouth of the Chapman River in Pormpuraaw in Cape York. We have travelled from Cairns to Cooktown then to Old Laura along the Battle Camp Road, north through the Lakefield NP and west through Musgrave RH and then 216 km west to Pormpuraaw.

The roads have been excellent except in the Lakefield NP and the middle section of the Battle Camp Road. By excellent I mean just that. Very smooth and fast for dirt rioads. I understand from my contacts that the roads north of here are just as good.

The weather is magnificent and the fish are biting. Life is good. Pormpuraaw is beautiful even if the town is scruffy. The beach, scenery and bird life are wonderful. Diesel $2.30 a litre! This ia an alcohol free zone so I am having my first alcohol free days in a very long time. Lots of cups of tea!

Since leaving Cooktown we have only seen two other caravans. One was a Bush Tracker and the other a soft roader Compass. As normal, wherevere we stop people want to talk and inspect Kedron. Its a nice way to meet peoplpe.

Regards to all

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

Just to add to my last comments about the road conditions on Cape York. I have been silent over the past three weeks as I have changed computers and lost my password and log-in. Sue kindly helped me out.

We are back home in Cairns having travelled some 4000 km visiting the Cape. It was a wonderful trip and I shall submit a trip report before too long.

I am glad we went north in June as by the end of the month the traffic headed north was unbelievable. They will need traffic lights on the Cape soon. The start of the NSW and Victorian school holidays seemed to have signalled the start of a "Race to the Cape" judging by the volume of traffic and the speed of some of our southern cousins.

Roads are (were) overall in good shape but there are some really nasty sections. The bit from Laura to Musgrave Road House is bad with most drivers taking to the gutters on either side of the road. There is no evidence of road works here what-so-ever. Avoid this section by going via Cooktown and across the Battle Camp Road which was in great shape and the north through Lakefield NP to Musgrave RH. Then for 20 km south of Twin Falls and 10 km north of Twin Falls the "road" is a classic Cape goat track. There is, however, a lot of work going on in this area.

Please don't take offence at the following plea. If you are headed to our beautiful Cape please, please don't litter the place, leave your grafiti stick at home and ladies, clean up your tissues.