ATV2 vs Topender

Bill McIntyre

I have placed an order on a 21'6" topender with the rear shower and seperate toilet , but would love to have the extra 1 foot internal space that the 22'6"ATV2 offers. Kedron say that they can give me the same layout in an ATV2 but the caravan won't be as robust as the Topender (8" vs 6" chassis rails, marinised brakes etc), nor have the rear skid. I don't think I will ever use the caravan in the same way that the Gall boys do, but can anyone advise me on which way I should go.

Bill, I think you have answered the question yourself; it depends on what use you will put the van to.

Yes the Top Ender has a more robust chassis (and weight to with it) and has some additional features which come as standard (such as leather seats).

But you say you won't be travelling over really rough roads so you may not need such a robust capability. But I have to say that I am aware that folk with ATVs and Cross Country vans have travelled over very rough terrain (such as the Gibb River Road).

All Kedrons are robust and tough so the ATV2 is very solid and strong.

Chris

Hi Bill,

We faced the same issues when ordering our van, in the end it came down to compromise between total weight, usable size and likelyhood of really giving the home on wheels the type of pounding the Gall boys do.

After much discussion with Stan and Flipper at the Brisbane Show we settled on a 22' ATV2 which is a TopEnder from the chasis up aside from suspension which is TopEnder also.

The difficulty we had was that to get the additional length we would have had to tow with something like an F250. I just can't see myself in such a tug. Not to say they are a bad vehicle, but I am a Landcruiser nut, being on my fifth since about 1990 :laugh:

We wanted to have a Cafe lounge at entrance end and Ensuite the other with a queen sized bed, this meant we really had no choice, so opted for the ATV chassis which gave use a more usable weight within the 3.5t capacity of the Cruiser.

Good luck with your purchase :thumbsup: