A Clockwise Lap

Tolley

Hello Koggers,

Gayleen and I are planning to take three months next year, April to June inclusive, to do a lap of Oz in a clockwise direction. People tell me that going clockwise is further than going anti-clockwise as in the former direction you are in the outside lane!

April to June suits us from a business perspective. Basically we will be in Victoria in late April (I want to march in Melbourne with my old Regiment on ANZAC Day), late April and May in SA and WA and across the Gibb River Rd in June providing it has not been a prolonged wet season. We want to be back home in Cairns by the end of June so as to be off the road when the school holidays hit!

My purpose in posting this message is to invite any comments, good advice etc from those who have more experience at this than we do. We would be grateful for any hints, tips, do's and don'ts, etc that you may have to offer.

Regards to all,

Colin, Gayleen, Moet and Cherie

Hello Again Koggers,

My initial post has not attraccted any reponses. Perhaps I have been too genreal.

In heading south from Cairns to Melbourne I would like to go west via Boulia, Birdsville, Cordillo Downs, Innamincka, Moomba, Merty Merty, Cameron's Corner, Tibooburra, Broken Hill.

Any advice, experience etc on the roads / tracks out there and their suitability for a LC 100 TD and TE van would be appreciated.

Regards

Colin

Hi Tolley,

We did the opposite. We headed north but then again it was winter. From what I read, the main reason for going anti-clockwise was wind direction particularly on the Nullarbor and on the coast of Western Australia.

So far this trip we have had good wind assist behind us except for one day and you could see the fuel needle dropping so if you can just stop for the day and hope the wind abates. The Nullarbor is yet to be crossed so fingers crossed. No plans to go via Broken Hill. :biggrin:

Safe journey.

Hello Ann,

Yes, the conventional wisdom is to go anti-clockwise as people say the reason is the wind. However, for us, the direction is dictated by the time of the year our business allows us to travel (April to June inclusive) and hence the prevailing weather at that time. April in the north is wet and we probably would face road closures across the gulf and the Gibb River Road. April in Victoria is still OK temperature wise as it is in SA. Early May in SW WA is starting to get nippy but by then we will be heading north into warmer climes. We hope that by June the Gibb River Rd and Gulf roads are open. Lastly, we want to be back home in Cairns before all those school holiday terrorists descend on the north in July!!

Ann, thanks for your good wishes. We are really looking forward to the trip.

Travel safely wherevever you may be.

Regards

Colin