vitrofrigo 12/240 caravan fridge

Arthur

G'day,

We have had an ATV since 2002 and love it. It's served us well in many parts of Oz. The main problem we have is with the fridge. We had our old 3 way replaced with the Vitrofrigo a couple of years back but are having problems with the cooling cycles. It can't make up it's mind whether it wants to chill or defrost. We read in other forums that the switch in this brand of fridge should not be used and that the fridge should be unplugged instead when not in use. We have been told it's the thermostat that's probably playing up and that we can replace it ourselves. Has anyone done this with success? Does the firdge have to be pulled out of it's "cupboard" or can it be done from the rear? Failing all this, can anyone recommend a very, very, good refrigeration serviceman somewhere between the Sunshine Coast and Maryborough/Hervey Bay Qld?

Looking forward to your help,

Arthur.

G`Day Arthur

I suggest you ring Kedron 0738813383 and ask for Tom or Ashley they should be able to point you in the right direction. :unsure:If not try Camec.

Cheers

Rick

Hi Arthur,

I didn't know there was a 12/240 Vitrifrigo. As far as I was aware, all the Vitrifrigo fridges are 12V only - even when one is plugged into 240V external power, the 'step down transformer' (that's the intermittent buzzing noise many people hear particularly in the middle of the night - just under your pillow!) 'corrects' the 240V AC to 12V DC.

Anyway, I did have problems with my first Vitrifrigo due to the thermostat; and incidentally, you are correct, I was told by the fellow who used to be responsible for the commissioning of the fridges for Kedron that switching the fridge off at the thermostat was a 'no, no'. I replaced the thermostat but this was all done through the open front door and was really quite easy taking care not to damage the fine capillary tube that acts as the temp. sensor. At that time, Kedron did not have a fridge isolating switch but it was relatively easy to install one in the rear fridge access hatch. From memory, the thermostat was a surprisingly dear item, around $90, I think I paid. But worth the money because we never had any further problems. I do recall speaking to other Kedron owners at the time who regularly switched the fridge off at the thermostat but hadn't had any issues at that time.

Cheers

Brian

G`Day Arthur

I suggest you ring Kedron 0738813383 and ask for Tom or Ashley they should be able to point you in the right direction. :unsure:If not try Camec.

Cheers

Rick

Thanks for your suggestion, Rick. I remember Ashley being very helpful to me a few years ago. Will follow this up.

Arthur

Hi Arthur,

I didn't know there was a 12/240 Vitrifrigo. As far as I was aware, all the Vitrifrigo fridges are 12V only - even when one is plugged into 240V external power, the 'step down transformer' (that's the intermittent buzzing noise many people hear particularly in the middle of the night - just under your pillow!) 'corrects' the 240V AC to 12V DC.

Anyway, I did have problems with my first Vitrifrigo due to the thermostat; and incidentally, you are correct, I was told by the fellow who used to be responsible for the commissioning of the fridges for Kedron that switching the fridge off at the thermostat was a 'no, no'. I replaced the thermostat but this was all done through the open front door and was really quite easy taking care not to damage the fine capillary tube that acts as the temp. sensor. At that time, Kedron did not have a fridge isolating switch but it was relatively easy to install one in the rear fridge access hatch. From memory, the thermostat was a surprisingly dear item, around $90, I think I paid. But worth the money because we never had any further problems. I do recall speaking to other Kedron owners at the time who regularly switched the fridge off at the thermostat but hadn't had any issues at that time.

Cheers

Brian

Hello Brian,

Yes, my mistake in typo, I realise the fridge is only 12volt. And good to hear that reinforcemnet on the no switching off at the thermostat. Wish we had been told that at the time of installation. I will have a go at getting a new thermostat/switch. Did you use a genuine vitrofrigo one, or just a replacement one from a caravan refrigerator supplier?

Thanks for your help.

Arthur.

Hi Arthur,

I got mine from the commissioning fellow I spoke to but he was a 'Vitrifrigo agent' if you like. It appeared that they weren't terribly easy to come by but he happened to have his last one in stock however, I think he was winding down his business at the time. Also, I think thermostats may be 'species specific'. In other words, you have to use the one designed for your particular fridge. Happy to be corrected on this point.

Kedron should be able to point you in the right direction - I simply contacted the fellow whose name was on the sticker in the compressor compartment.

Just had a quick look on the internet - looks like there are several contact possibilities there.

Cheers

Brian

Hi Arthur.

We had a similar problem in our ATV four two, a 2003 Kedron. Kedron did replace the thermostat. If Kedron can't help you, try 'the Fridge Whisperer' at 39 Areodrome Rd Caboolture (07 5495 4944) or (0400 744219). If they have to remove the fridge for bench testing, they have to remove the caravan door to get the fridge out of the van!!!!.

All the best.

Peter

Hi Arthur,

I got mine from the commissioning fellow I spoke to but he was a 'Vitrifrigo agent' if you like. It appeared that they weren't terribly easy to come by but he happened to have his last one in stock however, I think he was winding down his business at the time. Also, I think thermostats may be 'species specific'. In other words, you have to use the one designed for your particular fridge. Happy to be corrected on this point.

Kedron should be able to point you in the right direction - I simply contacted the fellow whose name was on the sticker in the compressor compartment.

Just had a quick look on the internet - looks like there are several contact possibilities there.

Cheers

Brian

Hi Arthur.

We had a similar problem in our ATV four two, a 2003 Kedron. Kedron did replace the thermostat. If Kedron can't help you, try 'the Fridge Whisperer' at 39 Areodrome Rd Caboolture (07 5495 4944) or (0400 744219). If they have to remove the fridge for bench testing, they have to remove the caravan door to get the fridge out of the van!!!!.

All the best.

Peter

Arthur.

We found that the installation of an external power supply switch for de frosting works well. No need to touch the thermostat once you have the temp right.

Cheers from us.