OOPSY DAISY there goes our awning

sellinup

Fair Dinkim ! last wednsday night about midnight we were peacfully sleaping when two storms cells decided to merge right on top of our keddy . Thunder and Lightning like we've never heard before . there was no way I was going out in that, and about half an hour later down went the awning. I was more conserned that the awning would be blown upwards so i had the usual ropes and pegs holding it down, but NO the bloody thing caved in down ways. the funny thing was there didn't seam to be much wind ,anyway the thing is stuffed ,can't even get the awning top or the tetryline wall out of the aluminiun tube. we have been in contact with the insurance company (CIL) and tom at kedron and will have a new awning fitted when we return from Ingham to brisbane. P.S Apart from that we are having a fantastic time, should have retired ages ago :)

Happy thoughts

Mal and Kerry

post-989-0-58712000-1324279881_thumb.jpg

Ooooh. Not a good look! What caused it to collapse in? Was it the weight of water on it or just a severe down-draft? Looking on the positive side, at least you guys are not on the west coast so fingers crossed you shouldn't have the wait that we had when we decided to buy a new one for our Kedron.

We just happen to have a spare if you need a temporary one - only problem is it is in Karratha! :)

Cheers

Sue

Hi Sue, Not sure what caused it , as it wasn't very windy . The other vans next to us had Awnings set up the same as we did and had no problems :huh: and I would have thought it should take a fair bit of force to bend that aluminium section like it did . Iam thinking that when we have the new one fitted I might drill another hole in the middle of that section next to the hole for the roof stiffener and have a brace from there to the ground ,considering I now have a few adjustable bits left over from the old one it can't do any harm ,and it might save a few headaches next time we find ourselves in another bad storm.

Thanks for the offer of a loner , a bit far away from Ingham QLD but it would be a good excuse to head off to Karratha for a visit :lol:

MERRY CHRISTMASS to all from Mal and Kerry.

Mal and Kerry,

Sounds like a good storm to stay out off. Just a note that may help others we saw a van down the coast last year in the same condition after a storm. Since than I always set the awning up with an offset so the water cannot pool on top. We had some big rain last Christmas and no problems.

cheers

Hope you have a safe and merry Christmas