New Top Ender

Chris

Well, we have finally made the decision to buy a new Top Ender! We have decided to stay with Kedron, as we have a deep appreciation of the brand's structural integrity and their presentation in vans. Briefly we considered other brands, but as Kedron have impressed us so much in the past not only with the product but also the after sales service, we are staying with the known product. I think the Galls are wonderful people who are an asset to the industry.

Why a new van? Primarily, we will be able to go up a foot in size from our present 18 foot internal to 19 foot. This will enable us to have a washing machine installed and also a filing cabinet for work files. Also, we can have special inbuilt cupboards for the DVD recorder and the satellite decoder. In addition, since our last van was made nearly four years ago, technology has advanced in some areas. For example, Kedron are now using a different hot water system. Our present Truma developed a crack on a frosty night in remote QLD twelve months ago, meaning no hot showers until it was fixed a week later! The new van will have more space in the kitchen. Also we are moving from the present 'L' shaped lounge to a club lounge, to save space.

We will be able to position additional powerpoints, as well as choose both analogue and LED lights at strategic spots. A major feature is the installation of an 1800 watt inverter, instead of the present unit which sits on our bench.

We have learnt a lot in our nearly three years living in the van, and all of those learnings will be put into the building of the new unit. We now know what works for us and what doesn't. One of the appealing aspects of Kedron is their encouragement of people to visit the factory during construction phase, and to tweak the plans if necessary. We did this the first time round too.

The new van will be completed in February 2009, and you will hear a lot more from me closer to that time about the project! And I will be asking lots of questions from time to time to guide some of our decisions.

I am infinitely grateful to people like Webby, Dazmit and Kimbo who have shared their time and expertise so generously. And a whole new host of fellow Kedronners who have been wonderfully collegiate in their sharing of knowledge of what works for them! We met a few of these kind folk in Brisbane last night over a dinner. Other Kedronning friends are equally valued. Actually, a lot of the decision to buy a new van is indirectly Elle and Shane's fault - I liked their kitchen so much I wanted the same features in mine!

Chris

Chris

post-45-1201084858_thumb.jpg

Hi Chris & Val

just saw your posting about a new van CONGRATULATIONS - now the wait!!

I wanted to be sure you had the right info , our van is a front entry which is what gives me the lovely deep bench space near my stove & sink.

Our van is still on track for mid /end March can't wait.

I've done the new layout as an attachment - only 79 days 'til we leave, we are going to use the Noosa North Shore w/end as our jump off point.

Looking forward to seeing you at the Imbil get-together.

Kind regards

Elle & Shane

post-39-1201689254_thumb.jpg

Hi Elle and Shane.

Yes, I did know that the extra bench space came from having a front kitchen (you do have a good memory!). But Stan has managed to work some magic somehow by moving the kitchen inwards about 5 inches so I can have the same effect in a rear kitchen. This makes the bathroom bigger by the same amount - otherwise you wouldn't be able to get the door open!

So you see, this is all your fault! For having such a great layout. Thanks so much for taking the trouble to post your plans, they are great to see.

Chris