ATV Brake Problems

Bas

We purchased an 18'6" ATV which was first registered 11/06, in May 2011.

It was/is in very good condition, but the first thing to check before any travelling was the brakes and bearings.

All of the drums had deep circular grooves/scores almost down to the wheel stud heads, and the magnetic blocks had corresponding ridges.

Visited Vehicle Components here in Brissy who supply Kedron with brakes and other bits, and was advised they had not seen anything like it before and suggested the previous owner must have had the brake controller set for too severe braking.

There was no option but to replace the drums and the blocks and decided to do the shoes at the same time, as well as bearings, and it was just as cheap/expensive to start from scratch with new backing plates etc etc.

Two things have developed:-

1. When turning sharply, and this includes going through a roundabout, AT TIMES one or more of the brakes comes on briefly as the van can be felt to tug for a while.

2. This may be related to the above, but after travelling for a while and the brakes/drums are warm (not hot), on stopping one or more of the brakes binds (and I believe only on the right side). By rolling or reversing back just a few centimetres, the brake/s free up.

One reason I have heard for number 2 is that brake blocks can retain some current.

On the way home from Tamworth a few days ago we stopped at Aratula for a break and chatted to folks with a Top Ender. Asked if we were happy with the Kedron, the brake problem was described. The TE owner replied that he had a friend who had a Boroma which had the number 2 problem for some time and after much perserverence it was resolved but unfortunately he could not remember how.

I would be grateful for any info/ideas/solutions.

Hi Bas,

You have paid out a lot of 'hard earned'..... suggest you contact Vehicle Components for their comments & recommendations!

My understanding & I will stand corrected that those grooves are normal 'wear' BUT can be accelerated by dirt & dust, remember you have two metal surfaces rubbing together. My drums & blocks have 'scores' on them after 50,000k expect to get another 10,000 before replacement of blocks. Hoping to be able to machine the mating surface of the drum (faces) at that time to extend the life of the brake drums.

In passing I was caught short once when I was at Brendale & had trouble with my van brakes being relativly close to Vehichle Components (VC) I went there & purchased a set of replacement brake shoes (being in the trade) I couldnt believe the money that they were asking for these replacement shoes..... begrugingly I forked out the money for them..... in hindsight the problem was with the brake controller (yes I made a bad diagnosis....only human) if I had a day to spare up my sleeve I should have taken the brake shoes to a reputable brake shop & had then relined/rebonded for a fraction of the price that VC asked for & GOT.

Remember Google is your friend, a little bit of searching & all brake componentry is available over the internet at a fraction of the cost, there are times when it is good that our $ is valued so high :D

Hi Bas,

You have paid out a lot of 'hard earned'..... suggest you contact Vehicle Components for their comments & recommendations!

My understanding & I will stand corrected that those grooves are normal 'wear' BUT can be accelerated by dirt & dust, remember you have two metal surfaces rubbing together. My drums & blocks have 'scores' on them after 50,000k expect to get another 10,000 before replacement of blocks. Hoping to be able to machine the mating surface of the drum (faces) at that time to extend the life of the brake drums.

In passing I was caught short once when I was at Brendale & had trouble with my van brakes being relativly close to Vehichle Components (VC) I went there & purchased a set of replacement brake shoes (being in the trade) I couldnt believe the money that they were asking for these replacement shoes..... begrugingly I forked out the money for them..... in hindsight the problem was with the brake controller (yes I made a bad diagnosis....only human) if I had a day to spare up my sleeve I should have taken the brake shoes to a reputable brake shop & had then relined/rebonded for a fraction of the price that VC asked for & GOT.

Remember Google is your friend, a little bit of searching & all brake componentry is available over the internet at a fraction of the cost, there are times when it is good that our $ is valued so high :D

Thanks Tony H

I rang VC yesterday and am to arrange to take the van out for them to inspect the brakes. They also want to look at the old drums etc as the person I spoke to this time was a bit surprised that the grooves could be as a result of the brake controller being set too high.

Yes, the cost was high but the drums had to be replaced as it would not have been economic to have them machined, but no doubt the shoes could have been obtained at a better price. At least I now have some spare shoes which can be relined for spares.

Regards,

Bas