SOG toilet vent.

Ian and Sue

As some may know I am the Kenny of the Kedron, ie. my duty, other than spending all Ians' money is toilet cleaning. Actually I rather enjoy the challenge of keeping the cassette in such good condition that there is never an unfriendly odour, so you can imagine how enthralled I was when I learned about the SOG whilst at the Goomeri Festival last May. :lol: This delightful gadget has been foremost in my mind every visit to the small room especially as we ventured further north and the temperatures started rising.

Around Darwin I decided I should seriously look into getting my hands onto a SOG even if the are very expensive! After some research I have found they can be purchased for $199 here in Oz and was about to hit the purchase button when my hard to impress husband suggested that I might like to consider how they actually fit onto the cassette. You see he has in mind that given that there is a tube fitted to the spout on the cassette then said tube must become clogged with #2's especially when travelling with a half full cassette along a bouncy track. He arrived at this conclusion following the discovery that the cap on our spout quite often houses, well I think you all know where I am going.... Needless to say he isn't keen on my spending his money even at the reduced price until I have confirmed that the only thing to find its way up the tube to the filter is the odour. So for now I look forward to reading your experiences as I am still really keen on the idea of having one.

Cheers all

Sue

Hi Ian & Sue

We are on our second SOG unit. The first I fitted myself to our first van and the second we had fitted during new van manufacture.

The answer to the #2 in the tube is to always fit the plug while travelling. This we only needed to do on the new van as the old 20 litre cassette on the old van had the hose on the top of the tank and was no problem.The new 17 litre tank has the hose attached on to the drain cap.The plug has a key ring fitted that allows it to be slipped on to the vent hose when not in use.Thus it is a quick job to fit and remove and always where you need it.

We can thoroughly recommend the SOG.No smell on the bathroom and no qualms in emptying in roadside composting or septic toilets.

Ian it is money well spent if you intend to keep the current van for a while.

We do use nappy san when doing a thorough clean when sewage dump facilities are available,this tends to thoroughly de gunk the tank.

Hope you three had a great trip to the East and thanks,good luck and enjoy with the Prez position on the committee.

Cheers and love too ya from the Kyd's.

Hi Sue

We are on our second Kedron, and our second SOG. Would not have a van without one. They are wonderful. No odours and definitely no #2's going where they shouldn't. We leave it in the full setup mode even when travelling.

We also only use Napisan.

Tell Ian he won't be sorry. It's money well spent.

Thanks Sue, Rod & Mavis, I can tell you I don't need any convincing to get one. :lol: I trhink I will place an order on Monday - Ian can fit it and we can do a trial run down to Perth. If we need to "plug" it whilst travelling then so be it, fingerscrossed ours will be one that doesn't require that action. I am quite happy to put on my rubber gloves and get dirty rather than have an odour, OK a STINK, everytime we need to use it. Can't hold my breathe forever.

We use Walex Porta Pak in our toilet - it was absolutely wonderful until we hit the warmer temperatures.

Cheers

Sue

What is the SOG vent you are talking about?

Bob

To save you from one of my blonde explainations I have used my copy and cut function to help explain the SOG. I am sure that other members can give an even simpler answer.

The SOG Toilet Ventilation System is an ecological solution for motorhome and caravan toilets. It is 100% chemical free and 100% odorless.

Surely the saving on the use of chemicals must be a bonus when you think what these chemicals do to our environment. You don't have to find a dump point and this in itself means more freedom when you are travelling around Australia.

There are four kits for cassette type toilets. Made with the traditional German engineering and know-how, this solution to a smelly problem will be an investment in quality of lifestyle.

Additives are no longer necessary and optimal decomposition is guaranteed by the increased flow of oxygen

The fast and powerful ventilator immediately removes odours by suction

No more smells in the vehicle

No further problems with the pressure of gases caused by decomposition

Kit Type Thetford Toilet Models

A C2, C3, C4

B C200

D C400

F C250

The ventilator is switched on as soon as the blade valve starts to open and is switched off again when the blade valve is closed.

The fact that no smells can leave the waste holding tank is brought about by: As soon as the ventilator is switched on there is a suction effect in the waste holding tank which draws in fresh air through the blade valve. This downflow acts as a seal and prevents the gqases and smells from rising.

The fresh air that is drawn in removes the new odours in the toilet bowl when it is being used.

The decomposition process for sewerage and toilet paper is accelerated by the increased flow of oxygen so that no additional chemicals are required.

No special toilet paper is required, in fact ordinary toilet paper is recommended for use with this system.

The exhaust ventilator with its motor has been specially designed for sanitary systems. The power consumption is very low at 0.43 watts.

Thanks for the information, we pick up our new Top Ender in ten days so I have asked for a price and whether it can be installed prior to delivery. There appears to be a worthwhile benefit by installing a system such as this it is a pity it is not more widely advertised.

Cheers

Merv

Merv

With only 10 days until pickup, I have serious doubts it will arrive in time and Kedron will not fit them after pickup.

They will put up every excuse they can think of as to why you don't need one, as they don't like fitting them at all. They can be very fiddly.

Good luck.

Sue

Hi Bob, The web address for the SOG was as follows.

/>http://www.aussietraveller.com.au/pages/products/category/15/toilet_ventilation

I emailed them and has a very prompt and friendly response along with a price of $199 plus $11 postage to Western Australia!

Lucky for me I have a very handy husband who will love having yet another job to do! LOL. He has still got to fit the diesel heater we bought whilst on our last trip, hmmmm... we have only been home two days do you think I am rushing him a bit???? :lol:

Sue

Hi Bob, The web address for the SOG was as follows.

/>http://www.aussietraveller.com.au/pages/products/category/15/toilet_ventilation

I emailed them and has a very prompt and friendly response along with a price of $199 plus $11 postage to Western Australia!

Lucky for me I have a very handy husband who will love having yet another job to do! LOL. He has still got to fit the diesel heater we bought whilst on our last trip, hmmmm... we have only been home two days do you think I am rushing him a bit???? :lol:

Sue

Thanks Sue. Very interesting a apt reply as I have just heard back from Stan and he has recommended against fitting saying Kedron won't fit as they have had problems in the past with the unit but If I want one it will have to be done aftermarket.

Cheers

Merv

Merv & Di

We have had SOG's for the last three to four years it two vans and never had a problem with either installation or components.

I fitted the first one to our Kedron and we loved it so much that the next one was fitted during construction of our second van.

They are completely effective in preventing odors in the van and ecologically very friendly when it comes time to dispose of the tank contents.

Cheers from the Kyd's.

Thanks Rod and Mavis, I will look at having one fitted aftermarket when we get back to Victoria. I am a little disappointed that Kedron either could not or would not or both fit one prior to hand over.

Merv