Generators

Chanty

Hi,

I know there has been a lot of talk re the inability of the Honda Eu20i to run the Cormorat Roof Top Air Conditioner, but is there anyone out there that is running the Cormorat successfully with the Honda Eu20i under hot conditions?

Regards

Chanty

Hi

We have a Dometic 3200 aircon which the spec sheet says it draws 1350W cooling and the EU20i runs well at mid 28C and below.

Last week we were at Mt Elvire in the WA goldfields when the ambient temperature was around 38C.

The EU20i would run the aircon on minimum setting for about 4 minutes and cut out on overload.

In the same temp it ran an 800W microwave ok.

In the cooler temps next morning it ran the aircon with no problems.

At the Perth 4WD show today I approached the Honda stand and was told they had never heard of any hot running problems.

At the Yamaha stand the man there responded by saying there could easily be a 5 -10% or more loss of power in hot conditions and both the Yamaha and Honda would be affected.

He also said if the Honda would not run my aircon neither would the Yamaha.

I understand the general test temperature for gen sets is 26C and the Honda is rated at 1600W continuous output at that temperature.

I will probably buy/try a VIGGEN gen set rated at 2250W continuous output which at the show was selling for $705.

It is said to be Swedish design and specification manufactured in China and with a 2 years warranty.

Like so many China manufactured products without a named manufacturer backup it is a matter of weighing up the risk.

My recommendation to you is to buy a gen set with a continuous output at least 50% more than your aircon draw if you want reliable use in hot weather.

Cheers

Hi Zolle,

I have a Yamaha 2400 generator and we have just spent a couple of days at Noccundra with temps 40-45 and the Yamaha ran the Cormorant keeping the van at 23-24 deg with no trouble at all.

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan

I understand the power draw of the Cormorant is about 1500W and therefore the 2400 Yamaha has the extra capacity that should run it even if there are some high temp losses whereas a 2000 gen set is very unlikely to at high temperatures.

Also Honda do quote a 40C max ambient operating temperature.

Cheers

John

Hello All,

I can support Alan and Liz's experience. I am at present in the area around Winton in western Queensland. The temperatures have been around 39 degrees. We have a Yamaha 2.4 and it happily handles the Dometic air on for hours on end. Has not missed a beat.

We have been on Carisbrooke Station which I can recommend. It's about 60 km north of the dinasour stampede which is also worth a visit.

Regards

Colin and Gayleen