diggers stain and rust remover

richard sheppard

Hi all. Just completed the Savannha way and Gibb river road back in September. Tried every thing to remove that red dust stain with no luck until I tried Diggers rust and stain remover on the chassie. It works well and brought it back to new. My question is this -has anyone used it on thier paint work around the seal of their windows where the red dust has penertrated the seal around the windows? I am reluctant to use it on the paint work as I am not sure if it will do any damage. Has anyone tried it?? Would appreciate some feed back.

Thanks Richard

Thanks Chris I will try with the tooth paste. [any kind?] I have tried the sugar soap and small brush with very little luck, did not want to try something that would damage the paint work on the van. Once again thanks Richard.

• 2 years later...

After doing some searching and trying some different products I got hold of some Diggers (Bunnings $30.00) to remove the last lot of red dust and it is absolutely brilliant so I thought that I would give this old post a revamp for all the new owners who might be searching for a similar product, so here it is again some two and bit years since the last post.

Cheers

Merv

• Like 2

Hi Danny

I only wanted to use it on the chassis as I couldn't for the life of me get the red stain of it and it works so well the chassis and chains look like new. I cannot see why you couldn't use it on the paint work or elsewhere but test it first. All the dilution rates are on the bottle, it is a dry powder 2kg bottle. We have used it to clean the shower base and are reasonably happy it then I use Purple Polish on the alloy.

Cheers

Merv

I am curious, can any one tell me what the active ingredient(s) is in the Diggers Stain and Rust Remover, is it only Oxalic acid and what concentration? I am a little concerned it may be corrosive or set up dissimilar metals for corrosion. I have never used it.

I just found a MSDS for a similar Oxalic Acid product, it can be 7% to 18 % Oxalic Acid. Also it is very corrosive Class 8 and also very dangerous to eyes, so be careful. I would also lookout for it causing corrosion especially if it gets washed behind checker plate or in cavities and in contact with bare steel, aluminium and zinc.

http://msds.orica.com/pdf/shess-en-cds-010-000030127001.pdf

Regards Terry

HiTerry,

I'm NO chemist or industrialist engineer...... but I believe the major component/ingrediant of this product is Oxalic acid.....bearing in mind (again (Im NO chemist or industrialist engineer) I have used this product with success (in my mind) if you mix up a batch half strength to what I did you shouldnt go wrong!

Please note what I said in the previous post......

Would suggest VERY CAREFUL application on the 'colourbond material'

Hello Richard and Tony

I would strongly suggest a careful read of the MSDS in the link above before using Oxalic acid based cleaners. :huh:

:) I am a qualified scientist (UTS and UNSW) and through bitter experience have learned to be very careful with chemicals. I have worked in chemical and biological labs for many years, both industrial and research. I have had chemical burns on my hands when I was working in a chemical factory when very young and ignorant and accordingly I am now am very cautious. My injuries could have been much worse if not for protective eye glasses and clothing. I have witnessed chemical burns in others that have required hospitalisation and left permanent scars.

It is important to note Oxalic acid can cause blindness, if it gets in your eyes it will burn your corneas. It is a level 8 corrosive which is the same as most concentrated acids. It certainly will clean things, but it is dangerous. It will most likely will corrode your caravan if you do not completely remove all residual traces of it. It does have industrial uses as a paint remover and also works so well at removing stains by combining with metals such as iron in the stains, so it will readily combine with metals such as zinc and steel. It will also react strongly and dangerously with aluminium (and magnesium).

So I would suggest it is not used without full knowledge of the risks and protective equipment (googles, impervious gloves, overalls, dust mask) as described in the MSDS.

Regards

Terry