Gas Cylinder Alternative

John and Ann

Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone had looked at or considered Composite Gas Cylinders distributed out of QLD.

They take about 10kg of the front of the van as a pair, but, at a price. They're transparent though so you can see at a glance how much gas you have left, very cool.

LPG%20gas%20bottle.JPG

Take a look http://www.southerns...products_id=432

Oh yeah I have no affiliation with the product or any supplier or agent, just thought it might be of interest if you've got nothing else left to tweak on your van.

Happy travels.

John

Hmmmmm! Now that is interesting. The weight saving is attractive. I called the distriburor on the Gold Coast. They cost $210 each, are made in Norway and the bloke I spoke to, John, did not know how puncture proof they are but said they were very strong. Personally, I don't reckon the are that vulnerable on my van as the two bottles sit behind a big grey polly box. They would be more vulnerable to some light fingered chappie knocking them off!

Colin

I'm inclined to agree with you Colin on all fronts.

I don't believe that the risk of stone puncture is any more real than with the steel cylinders for the reasons you mention. I would also guess that unless they were at least equal in strength to the steel version you would probably not even be able to buy/sell them under Australian law.

The light fingered risk is I think quite real although with some lock and the like it could be discouraged at least to the same extent as the current ones on my van.

I thought that the biggest issue might be rocking up to some filling facility out back of beyond only to find the operator willing to do nothing more than scratch their head and say "hmmm, waht the heck is this, don't know about that"

Haven't given up on the idea just yet.

John

Greetings all.

Must say the concept is great and have no doubt that they will be in the not too distant future the standard in portable gas supply.

Check the height of these cylinders before jumping in to spend a fortune on them at this time.

In our case they are too high to be accommodated on our van (boots won't open unless bottles are moved forward, this creates a drama with the stone guard that is currently in the perfect position to protect the van and bottles) and the price seems quite unrealistic for a 10kg saving on the vans weight. Mounting and clamping modifications need to be done also that adds to the cost.

Another cost for going with them is the re inspection after 10 years, currently in Brisvegas, that surpasses the price of a Swap & Go that we take advantage of when required (thus the booming industry in Swap and Goes).

Having said all that I feel that these bottles will be the industry standard in 10 years time or less, barring the introduction of more new technologies.

Isn't there always some one that comes up with the negatives ! :rolleyes:

Please take these comments a constructive not destructive and thanks for all the comments provided so far, I love new stuff.

John thanks for starting this thread and getting us researching this new technology.

The mind boggles at what may be available in 10 years time not only in the vanning industry but in the world as a whole. Aint it going just sooo fast at present,bring it on!

Cheers from the Kyd's.