Anyone going to the Cape beginning June 2014

RodnSue

Hi Everyone

We arrived in Cairns today & are here for at least another 4 days. (ie we hopefully will leave Cairns by 27th May.)

We then plan to start our trek to the Cape via Mossman etc.

It looks like Lakefield NP northern section will remain closed until beginning of July so Cooktown will be visited on our way south.

So as promised several wks ago, I thought I would post here to see if any other Kedron owners are near or in Cairns for a catch up.

cheers

Sue & Rod

Hi Rod & Sue

We have just got back from our trip to the top and are currently sitting resting in Wonga Beach. Both the truck and van are filthy red and probably will be for some time. We have passed three other Keddies heading north so you won't be be alone up there, the road is good with the southern section below Archer River a little rough so keep your eyes open. The northern section is as smooth as a babies bottom with the occasional nail biter. We averaged approx 80kph for most of the trip. We stayed at Punsand Bay and had a great time, checked out Loyalty Beach but couldn't stand the smell the other good camp is at Siesia near the wharf. Have a great trip. Battle Camp Road should be open at the end of the month and Bloomfield is hairy, stay off

Cheers

Merv & Di

Hi Peter & Margaret,

I have just read Merv & Di's reply & it seems we will not be alone up that way with 3 other Keddies already up there.

We hopefully will catch up with you both some where along the way.

At this point in time we are booked into Lakefield NP beginning of July & will be our last stop before heading out of the cape. (No other bookings made anywhere else)

If we get any internet service along the way I will post here again to report where we are in the event you may be close by.

Safe travels

Sue & Rod

Hi Merv & Di

many thanks for your reply. I'm pleased you have enjoyed yourselves with your trip.

We still have a reddish/ brown colour to our chassis from The Kimberley 3 yrs ago :-) So have fun with the cleaning.

Thanks also for the tips on the road conditions.

Out of curiosity could you please report back on the diesel fuel prices up that way, including Mossman.

Cairns is at least 12c/L dearer than 50 km south of here - taking advantage of being a bigger town with more diesel engines. It's damn wrong.

Happy travels going south

cheers

Sue

Prices have ranged from $1.70 in Laura to $2.40 at Jardine and the top.

Hi Merv & Di

many thanks for this info. I already had last years prices, but was curious as to what they were for this year.

We might see you around Mossman or Port Douglas if you stick around a little longer :-)

Sue

Hi Sue

At this stage our plan is to head north from Laura about 13 June and south from Laura about 05 July. But we rarely stick to our plans!!!!!

Pete

Hi Peter

I like your style of travel, hopefully Lakefield northern end will open before anticipated time & plans are changed :-)

Might see you up there somewhere.

Cheers

Sue

• 3 weeks later...

Hi RodnSue.

We have abandend our trip to the Cape.

Despite hearing various "first hand" reports saying the road was passable. It is not when towing a van or even a heavy camper trailer. If you phone ahead for conditions, don't relay on info some backpacker working there may give.

We got as far north as Hann River RH today, only 76km from Laura. The road was very wet, muddy and slippery, like driving through a foot of baby poo!!!! Those we spoke too at Hann said the conditions deteriorated further north and even worse from Musgrave to Coen. Officially the road is still open. Even as we started back to Laura it started to rain again.

The traction control on our LC 200 was working overtime keeping us on the road, let alone in a straight line.

It will probably take weeks to dry out, then there will be the ruts caused by the road trains, we had one coming towards us, leaving deep ruts behind him in the mud. It may take months!!! Apparently north of Coen is OK.

So we erred on the side of caution and safety, and returned to Laura. We'll try again another year.

Peter & Margaret

Sorry to hear that Peter & Margaret you have missed out on a magical trip, but you are right there is always next year. We took a punt and went early and the weather gods favoured us only to be hit with the rain luckily after we got back down to Cairns. Current sitting in a comfortable unit in Caloundra after dropping off the van at Kedron for a few repairs. Had a great dive on the Great Barrier Reef 25 k's out on a dive boat for three days and a superb dive on the ex HMAS Brisbane out from Mooloolaba.

I hope you trip gets better for you both.

Cheers

Merv

Hi Peter & Margaret

I've only now just read your post not thinking you had placed another post here last week.

I'm sorry to hear you have postponed your trip.

At the time it rained heaps down south around Coen etc, we were safely parked up in Loyalty Beach whinging about the slight drizzle we were getting each night. Then we heard on the grape vine a couple of trucks were bogged & not much else was getting through.

Today some campers next to us here in Weipa are covered in mud & say that the road was indeed very slippery & scary, so we're extremely pleased that we weren't amongst it too.

We head into Iron Range NP for 4 nights from Tues, so I'm hoping that the road around Coen is more dry by the time we get that far south.

We leave Weipa in the morning & will be in internet / ph wilderness again for 2/52, so I'll report in again with a further update once I have some service then.

I hope your trip this far north wasn't wasted too much & you were able to find an alternative holiday destination??

cheers for now

Sue & Rod

Hi Rod and Sue

We're heading west now, and will be in Georgetown on Thursday. We'll wend our way to Mt Isa and then down to Birdsville. Margaret loves Birdsville (not).

We're not too phased about missing out on the Cape, there's always another year, we hope!!!!

As long as we are out and about with our Kedron and enjoying life, then it's all good.

Cheers

Pete.

Nice 1 Pete & Margaret,

in a few wks time we'll be heading that way as well.

We came across 3 other koggers in Weipa, parked near us.

2 of them are friends from central NSW coast.....they happen to be here again parked up next to us along the Coen River at a freebie just out of town.....4 bars of ph / internet too thank you very much....

Anyway we have had an un official Kedron gathering....except the others aren't members & don't even read the forum.....

Enjoy your travels

Cheers

Sue

post-1061-0-12219800-1404036446_thumb.jp

post-1061-0-12219800-1404036446_thumb.jp