I Went To The Toyota Dealer For A 200 Td Brochure......

MADOG

Yes, took the 100 down to the carwash last Tuesday week and had some time up my sleeve so called into the local Toyota dealer to pick up some info on a 200.

Chris and I had been discussing the new Landcruiser even before we took delivery of our TE in December 2006 and had decided the colour would be grey/silver to match the TE.

Well, wouldn't you know it ... a demo (5,000ks) silver TD with bull bar, tow pack and the most impressive KDSS suspension - all the basic items I wanted, the right colour for Christine and the changeover price after stripping the 100 series wasn't bad either.

That all was a good idea at the time but due to the adrenelin rush I hadn't considored the business appointments in northeast Vic commencing next Monday enroute to the National 4WD Gathering at Mitta Mitta over Easter.

So a crazy sequence of events kicked in - off with the bull bar, winch, side rails, side steps, roof rack, diff locks, UHF, HF, shower/heat exchanger and numerous other bits. Sort out the finance papers, play paper warfare with VicRoads to transfer the MADOG plates. Then re-fit the basics so we can maintain our appointments schedule - UHF, Prodigy, Anderson Plug and Camera - that was finished at 11.00pm last night.

Hooked up the TE for a run this morning to set the brakes and "Hooley Dooley", such an enormous difference to the 100 (and I loved my 100). This creature is radical!

Unfortunately after market gadgets are taking time to kick in, much of that is due to all the body work on the 200. Given we have the KDSS suspension that comes with the non-optional measly 93 litre tank a rear wheel carrier with HF bracket is required and Kaymar delivery is estimated for June. Once the wheel is on the back a long range tank (yet to be released by Long Range Automotive) will be fitted.

My 100 series rear diff locks fit the 200 (don't know if front are interchangeable) and Black Widow draws/cargo barrier will be fitted after Easter.

Poly Air bags will probably be installed (or replacement coils) as the tow bar dropped significantly when the TE (230kg ball weight) was attached; however the level rides brought it up again. My past experience with Toyota springs says that sooner or later I will be changing them.

Does anyone know of a supplier of after market rear wheelcarriers and long range tanks who can supply for a 200 yet?

I recall moving from my beloved 80 in the 100 - the WOW :thumbsup: factor was extraordinary - that WOW :thumbsup: factor has just been matched again! The next couple of weeks around the High Country to Mitta Mitta and then across the Snowy Mountains and back down the coast to home will be a good workout. We are looking forward to it. Just have to work out a new arrangement for Misty the Wonder Dog's travel kennel!

Ok Roger 2nd try here

Welcome to the OHHH WHAT A FEELING CLUB :thumbsup:

I have allready fitted to my vehicle a 70litre aux tank (Longranger)and was fitted at the right price R&D :thumbsup: and have retained the spare wheeel in original position Im also aware of a 90 litre Aux tank and the spare has to be relocated but Im not aware of a spare wheel carrier available just yet.Very happy with this and looks good. If you would like further info contact me offline and I can put you in touch with the right person

My Snorkel (ordered) I have been told should be ready mid April

I have my rear drawers fitted to the vehicle and I am very happy with the result. Rear cargo barrier to suit I was told was at the powder coaters on thursday but wasnt given a commitment as to when delivery would be just yet

The ARB deluxe Bullbar Im aware of should be on display at the caravan show at rosehill in a few weeks but I am unsure of production on them yet

Next project im looking into at the moment is the seperation of the batteries but just sussing this out just yet cant find anyone who is really keen to touch them just yet,But someone has done it on the landcruiser owners group just waiting for some feedback.

I also have the rhino roofrack fitted also I was told that I had to buy the mounting pads and the FEET to suit but proved this to be false all you need is the mounting pads x 6 and from memory approx $120

if you would like more info or a chat email me or if you like you could ring me i think you have my number???

Regards

Hi Roger

As Kimbo said, welcome to the club.

Just back from the Imbil gathering tonight and this was only our 2nd time towing the TE - the first time on the motorway playing with the trucks.

3500kg, 350kg ball, and no problem keeping the speed limit - was even accelerating up hills - fantastic torque, and smooth as... Beats the Petrol V8 100 without comparison.

I had the opportunity to drive a couple of other vehicles at Imbil - a LC100 TD (thanks Sue & Ann) and Shane and Elle's 6.5L TD Patrol (thanks Shane and Elle). I only had a short run up the hill to the lookout but it allowed me to compare the torque and feel. Both great vehicles - both are tricked up nicely suspension, drawers etc, and of course Shane's has everything you could dream of, right down to the brush cutter ;-).

David

Hi Roger

Something about the LC 200 has been intriguing me is the published payload in Toyota specs which indicate between 600kg to 670kg depending on the model. My guesstimate weight of the payload of your listed extras including a longrange fuel tank fuel and tow ball load is at least 650kg. How do you fit in with additional luggage when towing the TE?

Regards

John

G'day John,

Interesting subject this one. Clearly there will be heaps of 200's on the road that are over...

• steel bullbars/winch bars
  • side rails
  • winches
  • draw storage systems
  • fridges
  • rear wheel carriers
  • long range fuel tanks
  • and then all the extras on the roof rack

OOPS - pressed the wrong button! Take #2...

G'day John,

Interesting subject this one. Clearly there will be heaps of 200's on the road that are over...

• steel bullbars/winch bars
  • side rails
  • winches
  • draw storage systems
  • fridges
  • rear wheel carriers
  • long range fuel tanks
  • HF radios
  • and then all the extras on the roof rack

In my opinion the bottom line will be for us all to really think hard about what we need and manage that as best we can and with the spiraling cost of fuel that isn't a bad discipline anyway.

Since that initial post I have gone cold on the full draw system, now preferring to design my own mini unit and keep the last row of seats intact. More room for the grandkidz and I will probably take what I really need instead of everything.

I certainly don't have the answers but like you am well aware of the problem and am open to the thoughts of others.

Regards

I dont think there would be tooo many 100 series Factory turbos or Nissans towing around heavy vans that would be legal either.

The other ones to look at are the bommodores and the falcons towing vans around, some of these only have approx 150kg ball load and they are towing vans around as well would they be legal with fuel passengers and luggage ?? dont think so

Have a look and start calculating some of the weights B/Bar,winch, fuel, weight of van on towbar,passenger just to name a few and then add the boat on the roof plus all the associated safety equipment that needs to be carried as well and you might surprise yourselfs.Even without a lot of these accessories I think many would come very close to being over the GVM when they hooked up there vans loaded for a trip around the block.

How often have you heard of claims being knocked back by insurance companies because of the above I cant think of any??But in saying that there is allways a first.

My opnion would be if Insurance co's started enforcing these rules to the max they would end up with a massive headache from disgruntled customers taking them to task thru the courts and then the insurance co would have to prove that the said item/items actually caused the accident

With my 100 series as seen in pics in the photos section I had every accessory which was a lot, noted on my insurance policy and the insurance co didnt quibble with me about these and just gave me a bill to pay Im not saying that this is right but other than going to a truck of some kind what are vanners spose to do??

I have heard that toyota are looking into an upgrade of the landcruiser payload (rumoured)

I am also aware of upgrade that has been done in Qld giving i think 250kg extra and the only requirement was fitment of airbags to the rear suspension at a cost of approx $300 and an engineers ticket

Just my thoughts

Regards

You lot are all misguided, you need one of the following:

http://www.landrover.com.au/au/en/Vehicles...er_overview.htm

And you will save tons of fuel, my Range Rover ans S3 consume NO fuel (mainly because the RR has its heads missing and the S3 lacks a gear box).

Now iam just gona sit back and watch the torrent of anti LandRover sentiment. :laugh:

Maca

A tug with a recommended tow ball load of 150kg is not much use to Kedron owners.

Regards

John

Yes I will admit the old cruiser did have a higher ball weight (350kg) and I assume the new cruiser will also have this rating (does any one know, as Toyota don't print this figure).

The 150kg figure given by land rover assumes the vehicle is loaded to the GVM, if not loaded to the GVM the ball weight increases to 250kg

However the new defender's payload is just a bit under double that of the new cruiser.

approx 600kg for a 200 cruser.

approx 1000kg for a defender.

PLUS the defender is a land rover :biggrin:

On a somewhat related side not my S3 has a towing limit of 4500kg, and the Perkins diesel in it is more than happy to oblige but the gearbox isn't (four gearboxes in four year). The new gearbox out of a T3000 will hopefully do better (and I get 10 speeds instead of 4 :biggrin:).