LC200 KDSS HR WDH, ++

Ian K

With an 18ft ATV on order, the Mitsi 4WD has gone and our thoughts are to an LC200 TD for reliability, countrywide support and “Pulling Power”.

Would like to gain some user advice though on the following. (We anticipate 95% on road usage)

1) KDSS. How good is it? Any problems when towing a Kedron and its typical ball weight?

2) I know the aftermarket is still small, but has anyone found the need for shocks and spring changes yet? Any interference with the KDSS?

3) HR WDH. Any issues with its fitment and use? I have seen from the Bushtracker forum that the LC200 in-bumper tow fitting requires a different hitch drop head length for their vans!

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

Ian & Robyn

:smile:

Hi Ian and Robyn

I cant comment on the KDSS as I dont have it on my 200 but the standard suspension I have has been good and as with most previous (3) landcruisers I have had I will probably have aftermarket suspension fitted and a lift as well to a heavy duty type suspension.

The weight distribution hitch on my vehicle is standard and I do not have any problems whatsoever with this setup and to be honest I dont understand where BT are coming from with these drop hitch's you talk about as I have a heap of adjustment left.

You can see some pics of my car and van in photos section under Kimbo's album 200 series and this is when the car was totally standard

Regards

Hi Ian & Robyn,

If Mr Bushtracker says you need a special hitch, he must be right - just ask him!

I'm with Kimbo. No need for the special hitch with the TopEnder.

Have a look how level this is http://photos.bellette.net/pic.asp?D=photo...;F=q1010021.jpg

That has the standard hitch adjusted to suit the 200.

The only suspension update we have done is the airbags - there is 20psi in them in that photo.

The HR WDH is not fitted either.

We do fit them on the road for saftey reasons but not needed to level the van.

We have KDSS and the airbags don't interfere.

I've been told there are no problems with the spring upgrades but I don't have a need and won't be going down that path.

G'day Ian & Robyn,

We have KDSS and it seems to deliver an extra degree of stability on the blacktop however I expect it will be most useful due to the extended wheel travel in an offroad situation. Haven't had the opportunity to give it a serious workout yet. No issues with KDSS towing the TopEnder.

I chose to again upgrade springs and shockers as I have now done now on 5 previous LandCruisers to better handle the weight and gained 40mm lift at the same time. Once again no issues between springs, shockers and KDSS.

The extra lift required adjustment on the standard hitch - I took it down to 2nd hole from bottom and now have it on the bottom however expect to bring it back up to the 2nd hole from the bottom when I get a chance as it seems to me to be better there. Standard hitch is fine - before upgrading the suspension and after.

You mentioned "Pulling Power"; the 200 TTD is one helluva "necksnapper" - I have to keep reminding myself to back off even with the 3.5T behind.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

• 4 weeks later...

Many thanks to Kimbo, David and Jane, Roger and Christine for all your replies.

Decision made , We've gone for the LC200 TD with KDSS option and are looking forward to its arrival in a couple of months.

Cheers

Ian & Robyn :thumbsup:

Oh I believe we have a N&^%$n convert amongst our ranks

Picked up their new 200 in the last few days and I believe from a ph call I recieved yesterday that it was raining and the 200 was safely tucked away in the shed cant get it dirty or wet I was told :laugh:

Maybe they might own up ??? :biggrin:

Kimbo

Ps you wont be disappointed Ian & Robyn

Just arrived home from Hervey Bay and saw this post. I am going to assume it is aimed at us LOL.

You will be pleased to know that the new vehicle now has mud on it. Drove down some dirt roads today, I guess Eric will have to clean it again tomorrow.

We now have our 1000kms up and very happy with it. Going to hitch up at the end of next week and go north for a while. Just have a few bits and pieces to sort out first.

Dropped in at Kedron factory on our way to Hervey Bay, came out of the shed and found Glen taking a photo of the front, it seems he liked the bull bar.

Cheers

Jody

LOL bet Eric luuuuurved the drive ??? and OH WHAT A FEELING :thumbsup:

he might be tempted to give up fishin now :laugh:

Regards

Give up fishing??? never.... He is outside modifying things to take his Hobie right now, and putting on the tubes to take his rods (or at least some of them, never met another man with so many rods and reels). I think he is going to sell the tinny, motor and trailer though.

Will take a pic tomorrow when sun comes out again.

Cheers

Jody