High Country

Blueheeler

Hi fellow KOGERS, :helpsmilie:

We need some advice if you guys can help. As we haven't yet travelled down to the

southern end of this great country, we would like some help as to which way is the best way to travel to Mita Mita. We will be leaving from the Sunshine Coast.

Is the coast road(Highway 1) still hilly and very narrow in places,(I hitch hiked it when I was 17) or has it been upgraded? If not, would it be best to travel the NEW ENGLAND HIGHWAY? The other highway I looked at was the NEWELL HIGHWAY.

Also if anyone can recommend any good free camps on the way down and back.

We look forward to any suggestion that may help with our planning.

Regards,

Alan & Rhonda. :Australia:

Hi Alan,

I was only just having this conversation with one of the guys at work today. He reckons he would go the Coast road, as at least it has numerous passing lanes - whereas with the New England (which a few truckies use) there are not so many opportunities for them to pass safely.

I guess in a way he has a point.

We leave for Victoria in 3 weeks (via Newcastle, Batemans Bay, Wilsons Prom, Great Ocean Road, Grampians and the Murray) so will have to get the map out and give it some serious thought.

Hi Alan,

The path you select is dependant on how much time you have, when we go to the snow we go down the Newell via Goondiwindi and back the coast road.

Last Christmas going to Melbourne we comfortably travelled from Toowoomba to just south of Dubbo and stayed at campsite #837 Tomingley South, a big area with plenty of room to get well of the road and away from the noise. I don't know how far down you are going before you branch off but our second night was at King Parrot Creek between Seymour and Yea # 223, just before the camp is a large bridge the turnoff to the left is very close to the bridge.

We travelled back via HWY 1 as far as Nowra and cut across through Kangaroo Valley (very steep but well worth the effort) #566 Bendeela Pondage than to Bowral that puts you on the back road through to Sydney. Going into Sydney from the south you need an Etoll as they dont take any money. We bypassed the motorway and the track through Sydney's west isn't that bad than back onto HWY 1 we turned off at Wauchope and up through to campsite #299 Aspley Gorge NPWS $5 / hd camp fee (honour system).

All the roads are good its just the other idiots using them. :tongue_ss:

Have a good trip.

Laurie