Shake-down trip complete, niggly problems fixed

RussnSue

The new Top Ender was picked up, as planned, on Dec. 19th. After packing and re-packing all of our stuff about 15 times, we were finally ready to set off on our shake-down cruise.

Our trip saw us at Kwiambal Nat. Park (NSW) over Christmas, Storm King Dam for New year, Leslie Dam for a week and Jacob's Well for a few weeks (while family from WA visited.)

No issues arose that would render the van incapable of proceeding, but we did have a list with about a dozen items on it and Rang Ashley at Kedron the day they returned to work on Jan. 19th. He booked us in for the 27th Jan. for the items to be checked.

When we hadn't arrived by Midday on the 27th, Ashley rang us, just to make sure everything was OK and that we hadn't got our wires crossed. What a pleasant surprise! When was the last time you got a call from any company to remind you that you have warranty work to be done?

I am pleased to report that all of the items on our list (including completely replacing the 'fridge) were performed efficiently and without fuss. They even made a bag for my new laptop for free after I offered to pay them to make one for me!

I don't know if anyone at the factory visits this site, but if they do, please pass on our thanks to Ashley and his crew for a job well done.

Since the repairs we have spent time at Noosa, Burrum Heads and are now at the Town of 1770. We are thoroughly enjoying this part of Australia. Hope to catch up with other KOGers in our travels.

Cheers

Russ

Hi Russ and Sue,

Good to hear that you had a good trip.

We to have just picked up out new ATV before Xmas and had found some small items that need to be fixed under warranty.

Just concerned about the fridge. Can you elaborate a little about your fridge and why it was replaced.

If you like you can Email me at happy_campers@internode.on.net

Regards

Garry MUNRO

g'day russ, just a few lines to say hello , we were at keiambla in the cross country , with the the two camper vans . good to hear all your niggles were sorted. got that regulator sorted but gained a few leaks instead . whats the story with the fridge replacement? might catch up at benaraby if you"re still going there ,c u later gazza.

G'day,

the 'fridge would not pull down to 5 degrees in the fridge part. Most of the time it was between 6 degrees and 11 degrees, which is not below the safe food storage temperature. The freezer would get to -17 degrees but could not hold it. Again not to food storage specs. These results were at the coldest thermostat setting.

Ashley's thermometer agreed with ours, so out went the 'fridge. The replacement 'fridge gets down to 4 degrees and can maintain it, with the fridge on the second coldest setting. Personally, I think that the compressor/evaporator/condensor unit is too small for a 230 litre 'fridge and it is most likely a design issue rather than an individual 'fridge issue. I think that there is too little margin for error with the design.

At the pre-delivery talk, we were told that the large, lift-up hatch used to improve airflow and cooling around the condensor is new to the design of the vans. One would have to suspect that the change was required due to customer feedback about the 'fridges.

gazza d, we are at Benaraby now and will be working at the caravan park for about three weeks.

Cheers,

Russ.