LOCKNUTS...for 200Sahara and TE van

oddcouple

Hi all members, and especially those kind souls who nurtured us through "the birthing process". Yes, the new TE was born on August 3, 'shaken-down' for a week in glorious Samford showground, and driven somewhat nervously home to Newcastle... even got a tad dusty in Coopernook SF!

Right now I am, like Bruce and Sue, angsting over the security of all wheels, not just the spares.

It appears noone is even contemplating making locknuts to suit the LC200 alloy wheels, and of course the TE bears identical wheels, so where to now??

If anyone has found suitable (quality) locknuts, and can guide me to a supplier, I'd be very grateful for your help!!

Many thanks... and as soon as I've read all the Black Bible manuals, I'll add a photo, etc!

Cheers, Steve.

Hi Steve,

We got our ATV ony a few days before you and have been going through a similar process to you.

I have found a great deal of trouble finding info on the 200, even from the toyota dealers. One did not know where the fuel filter was found. Getting breathers for the diff and trans was almost impossible and in the end I just ordered the parts from Japan.

OK, back to the lock nuts. I asked at supercheap while I was there and the assured me there were ones available. They just happened to be out of stock at that moment. Currently we are on holiday in Kempsey and there is a great spare parts guy here. Runs Manning cheap auto spares and I will be back there in a few days. I will ask him. Good to find a spare parts guy that is not 16 and knows nothing. Although this one is still quite young, about 50 and almost always covered in some sort of grease stain.

Carl

Hello Steve and Jim.

Congratulations and happy vanning.

Hope you both are as satisfied with your new investment as Judy and I are with ours.:thumbsup:

All the best and hope to catch up one day soon.

Remember anyone travelling towards Cairns, you are welcome to drop in at Babinda for a cuppa or happy hour or three :laugh:

Firstly, thanks to the responders to my earlier post...and the welcoming congrats re the new TE! MUCH APPRECIATED!

My locknuts concerns involved not just the TE spares, but the fact that a potentially appetizing 11 new alloy wheels and Silent Armour tyres were going to be sitting out in the boondocks while Jim and I were bushwalking. I didn't fancy worrying about how much H2O was left in the tanks while replacements reached us!

After doing all the footwork, tyre co's, Speco, etc, I finally accepted that noone had a product designed for the 200's 14mmx1.5x33mm studs and encapsulated nuts. One ex-China product looked good...'washer included', but it sheared with the slightest crimping-up, and I had to have a nut welded on in-situ (heart-in-mouth time!) to get the bugger off. No more Repco, Supercheap, etc suggestions, thanks. And so back to Bob Jane/Beaurepaire sources, where Speedy High Security Locks (14M1.5 short shank) were chosen.

Next stop: Promac Engineering in Newcastle, where m'mate Gene machined the Toyota nuts in half just out from the washer, added a half-depth 27mm nut and 'coned out' the interior to seat the Speedy Lock. The reduced original nut can be torqued to match the other four (96ftlbs), and then the Speedy Lock can be secured with plenty of thread still available.

By the way, the newly machined Toyota/Kedron nuts were re-chromed before refitting, to prevent rust.

Okay, so it cost me $20/wheel all-up, but I know those 8 wheels plus two spares are going nowhere unless I'm driving them! I had 12 nuts rebuilt...the two spare nuts double-up on the TE spare wheels.

After all that, the Talon hitch-lock and Klampit (E-size=17"wheels) may seem like overkill, but I'm sleeping easy, even if a certain song from Porgy and Bess is trying to tell me somethin'!

Hope this helps someone out there....

Cheers, Steve. :smile:

Hi Steve and Jim.

I am so glad you have finally picked up your new baby and that you have had a successful shakedown trip in it (well, I HOPE it was successful).

Thanks for the information about the security improvements you have made. That is one of the great benefits of the forum...it allows us to share ideas.

Chris