LC 200 Series

Ian and Jill Brown

Hi All,

We are looking at upgrading our LC 100 TD to a 200 TD to tow our 18' TE.

We would appreciate any comments on model(s),performance & necessary accessories etc. from anyone that has gone down this road.

We understand that there were some issues with the new model earier on but they have been rectified(?).

Any feed back would be most appreciated.

Ian & Jill Brown

Good morning Ian and Gill.

"We just did what you are proposing" This line I see on the KOG website and I wish, I had that available before we got ours. There are many 100's towing Kedrons and I have even seen a prado or two.

There appears to be some incorrect info floating about on the 200. This also comes from the Toyota dealers who themselves do not appear to know everything either.

You did not mention where you were?

Firstly it comes under luxury car tax so what ever additional things you put on it when you buy, bulbar etc, you will pay this tax. Get them fitted after taking delivery. We had a Toyota bull bar for a month before throwing it in the bin (trading post) and getting a ARB. There is a $7 price difference between the two. The ARB is light years ahead. Tuff are also great but you might want to check the air bag testing details first on that one. Tuff seems to be more for people that are not 4WD driving (ground clearance) but more sealed roads in the outback.

I found that the 200 feels much more like a car than the 100. The top of the bill bar is lower than on the 100 so you tend to feel that it is not there. The bonnet is rounded and it generally feels a smaller vehicle. (in fact it is a bit bigger). The suspension is softer in line with the car thing. We put air bags, and a ARB heavy suspension package in and it feels just like a 100 again.

Power on the other hand is great. We have a 22.6 ATV Tare at 3100kg empty. It tows this well. I would not go so far to say effortlessly. I think you would have to jump to a F250 for greater towing capacity.

There have been many reports about the 200 and the initial troubles they have been having. You can read these on other web sites. The front bull bar from Toyota, the rear diff and the engine burning oil, sometimes air cleaner. I do not appear to have any of these so I cannot comment.

The new 200 has many “pansey” features not in the 100. To start for example, You have to be in the drivers seat, have the handbrake on, foot on the brake and the transmission in park. Great in North Sydney but not great 251 kilometers west of the Olga’s if it will not start. The truck beeps all the time. When you open the doors for example. Great at 0200 hrs in the middle of a camping area when everyone is, well was asleep. You cannot have the engine running and the gear shift in “neutral”, then get out of the car. It will scream it’s head off. Very annoying when unhitching or hitching up.

The first week is a bit annoying getting used to not having a car key. You have to put it into park before shutting down the engine or the truck will not lock. I know it is in the manual but who ever reads those. I hate having to live my life, in a world designed for the dumbest person on the planet.

There is not cigarette lighter socket at the back door like in the 100. The spare tyre is mounted in the same way at the 100 with the tyre valve pointing up. This making it very hard to check spare tyre pressure.

I have been told the new 200’s are coming with a reversing camera installed but they do not tell you that you cannot “piggy back” your caravan camera to it.

If you are doing your own maintaince, eg engine oil, you will need the Toyota engine oil filter removing tool. $33 thank you. You also have to remover 2 plates to get at the filter.

The 200 jack appears to be the same as the 100 which was never all that great in the first place either.

If you have a snorkel fitted, it can make it a bit tricky going round right hand sharp bends. Visibility is not made easier but there is little alternative with this one.

So there are the bad points but I love my 200. I get a little angry at spending $85.000 for a tough outback truck and then spending another $15.000 to get it ready to go there. They are becoming a “Toorak tractor” but there is little alternative. We had a 300 kilometers travel limit per day in the 100 but after that distance in the 200 you still feel pretty good. My wife is still fit enough to make dinner and that is the important thing. (will be dead if she reads this).

In a summary, if the 100 tows it well, you are not exhausted after the drive, it still has relatively low kilometers, keep it. I love my 100 as well and many times prefer to drive this.

Wow, Carl, it doesn't sound like you're very happy with yours at all!

I love mine - tows beautifully and even better with the OME suspension upgrade.

I took it down a wrong track yesterday over soft sand and there was nowhere to turn around so I had to keep going. A couple of kms down the track we found an area wide enough to turn around and made it back across the couple of kms of soft sand - all with full tyres pressures and the van on the back! The 100 wouldn't have made it. This thing pulls like a tractor.

You have to be in the drivers seat, have the handbrake on, foot on the brake and the transmission in park.

Not quite correct. No need for the handbrake on. It's a safety feature to ensure someone is in the driver's seat that can reach the pedals.

The truck beeps all the time. When you open the doors for example. Great at 0200 hrs in the middle of a camping area when everyone is, well was asleep. You cannot have the engine running and the gear shift in “neutral”, then get out of the car. It will scream it’s head off.

Haven't found that, unless keys are in the car. What are you doing up at 2am? ;-)

You should have it in park before leaving the car and there will be no alarm even if the engine is running. (Try leaving it in drive and putting the handbrake on and leaving the car while running - then it screams. That took a little getting use to as I came from driving manuals).

The first week is a bit annoying getting used to not having a car key. You have to put it into park before shutting down the engine or the truck will not lock.

The alarm will tell you it doesn't lock. Again, being an auto it should be in park.

There is not cigarette lighter socket at the back door like in the 100.

The cigarette socket was useless as it wasn't rated high enough anyway. IMHO, it's better to install a good quality socket and wiring for your fridge and accessories.

We haven't regretted buying ours...

Hi Ian & Jill,

We have had our 200 series TTD now for about 15 months & covered almost 50k. (25k of this with the Kedron behind.) It is with out doubt the nicest, most refined vehicle that we have ever owned.

It is a pity, when you spend what is the equivilant to some third world countries GNP, that you still have to pay more money to customise your your vehicle to do the job a little more easily & or more comfortably.

'Customising' our Cruiser was done with aftermarket products (with the exception of floor mats, weather shields etc) As previously mentioned buy your genuine accessories after taking delivery of your vehicle or you will pay luxury tax on those purchases.

I must admit that I'm in the auto trade, & I can purchase parts & accessories at trade or better pricing, but with a little leg work you can buy just as well.

Always buy quality products from reputable dealers (buying quality rather than buying on price always wins)

To enhance & generally improve the performance & comfort of our 'tug' I have fitted'

1.ARB colour coded steel winch bar.

2.IPF drivng lights (with HID conversion kits fitted).

3.Upgraded 'Dobbinson' suspension 50mm lift & shocks from (Dobbinsons are in Rockhampton but can be purchased all over Oz. This did stiffen the ride ever so slightly... but it still rides like a limo).

4.To keep the tug sitting level I also fitted air bags (Polyair) to the rear.

5.Safari snorkel.

There are many other extras that I have fitted that I shouldnt mention for fear of Wendy reading this, but how far do you go?

This vehicle is an absolute joy to drive, pulls like bu_g_ry, steers well, pulls up on a 'dime' & you can get out of it at the end of the day not felling exhausted.

My last tow vehicle was 4.5L petrol manual 100 series which was not as 'tourqey' as the TD version but was still a good vehicle & before that I had 3 x 80 series Toyotas, each one of the 80 series was better than the previous one. The 100 series was 'ten times' better than the last 80 series it replaced. The 200 is 'lightyears' ahead of the 100 series.

Oil consumption hasnt been a problem for me, the ambient air temp sensor was doing funny things for a short period ...but that sorted it self out.....touch wood I havent had any warranty problems or replacements 'yet'. Fixed price servicing is great also.

The only drama I have had with the vehicle was with a servicing dealer in Darwin...not completing the service as per the service schedule & to my satisfaction. (This was fixed with a return visit & a few stern words).

Would I buy another one.....am I happy.....YES :thumbsup:

PS. One thing I'm going to have checked at the next service is the amount of dust getting into the vehicle ...not that its bad/excessive just want it to be checked.

PPS. We are currently in Kalumburu....doing a stint of work, noticed a Topender drive through town yesterday, went looking for it this morning....not easy to hide in Kalumburu....guess what I found....Barry & the boys doing test on a new van with some nice new bits & pieces & also making a new DVD ....due out in March 2010. I believe.

Thanks everyone for the input.

As a followup, what sort of range do you get from a tank(s) of fuel when towing your 'van' with the 200 TD?

I ask this purely for info only, as the decision to upgrade our 100 series will not be based on fuel costs.

We generally get around 600 k's from the 2 tanks, sitting on around 90-95 k's p/hr.

Currently our TE is slightly overweight (ball weight 417 kg's) and I am looking at re-jigging the water tanks to get more weight at the rear end (off the front) to compensate.

Bearing in mind the fuel tank capacity is slightly less in the 200 than the 100 series, but with the increased power output & reduced fuel consumption you will travel much the same distance.

I average 12 litres per 100k's around town....best I ever did on a trip to Canberra 10.3 litres per 100k's (incredible, bettter than factoy claimed specifications), with the van on it jumps up to 19-20 litres per 100k's sitting on or just under 100kph

It is rare for us to drive our 200 without at least some of it being under tow between fills, as we are full time on the road.

But from my records:

Overall, combination of towning and non towing over 21000kms we have averaged 17.5

The last 3 months we have been very static and have filled the vehicle three times in three months, no van in these fills and we averaged 13.0.

Worst ever (some van) 23.2 between fills when the vehicle had 1600km on it.

Best fill to date (no van) 12.0

We have used 5 litres of oil over 20,000kms.

Love the ride. Love the power and most important to ME, mayby not to HWMBO, is that the thing stops the van so well.

HWMBO says that the revs are better when towing at just under 100 than at 90/95, bit technical this bit for me.

Cheers

Jody

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your input/advice.

We have 'bitten the bullet' and ordered a GXL 200 series for delivery in December.

Can't wait for our next trip in Feb 10 - Perth to Eyre Peninsular (some quality fishing) then up to North Qld for 4-5 months.

Having never been 'up there' we will be seeking some info on places to go and see, in due course.

Once again thanks to all.

Ian & Jill Brown

• 1 month later...

Hi Ian and Jill

I can only agree with everything CV tripper Tony and Jody have said I love the 200 and after 4 cruisers this is just the best thing ever, yes there were some teething problems with tailshaft clunks which I suffered and oil usage which is approx 1 ltre per 5000k and in my oppinion quite acceptable the tailshaft was a non event as once greased it never reappeared.

My 200 now has 70k on the clock and these klms wernt easy or soft Klms IMO mostly towing the topender.

Have just completed a 24k trip over some 8mths doing the Gibb and the Tanami rds plus many more dirt rds in between as I look for dirt over bitumen wherever I can and I averaged 19klm/100k and my setup isnt light by any means with boat on roof and van in tow.

I have had the ARB suspension upgraded with GVM upgraded as well and I could honestly say my vehicle/van and boat all up would go close to 7 tonne, and I dont spare the vehicle I drive to the speed limit except in the NT I would sit quite comfortably at 110klms but I have plenty in reserve if the need arose.

I use my vehicle for its intended use 4wdriving and towing a HEAVY van and can honestly say even at the high price (only somes opinion not mine)it is worth every cent I paid for it even with all the additions I made to it to even make it better.

You can see some pics here http://www.kedronownersgroup.com/photos/th...ls.php?album=14

of my vehicle and vans and how I use them allthough they are of my 100 series

I have also split my batteries and put AGM's in as replacement to originals with a surepower isolater and after nearly 18mths of abuse running my beer fridge (engle) have suffered no problems whatsoever

Regards

Hi Ian and Jill

My battery setup wasnt at the time a ARB setup but my local ARB dealer whom I am quite friendly with did me a deal and set it up for me knowing that I would use it as stated above and after some 18 mths I am very happy with the setup.

I know that CV tripper has put a 3rd battery in the rear of his 200 and left the original setup and I'm sure David will reply if he sees this thread but seeing he is on the rd that could be some time.

My setup has the 100 amp/hr sure power from memory I can check this easily if you require more info and I can take some pics if you like of the mounting position.

just ask away

regards

I have the 200kg constant in the rear and the Polyairs.

This did stiffen the suspension slightly but I dont notice it with the draws and the recovery gear +fridge in permanently also a heavy toolbox

I have to also say the only reason I have the polyairs is that I had them fitted to the original suspension prior the the fitment of the ARB but in all honesty I havnt needed to pump them up since the fitment of the ARB suspension they are just sitting there with 10 psi (or whatever the old measurement is :biggrin: )

I will take some pics tomorrow of batteries and post them Im just looking for reciepts and part no's for you and will post those also if I can find them

my mobile no is 0407018276 iffin you need to discuss further

regards

Hi Ian and Jill

sorry for the delay I hope these pics are all right

Pic 1 shows the Aux battery right hand side and the isolator in front of the battery just behind the headlight

Pic 2 same battery the holding bracket needs to be cut slightly and bent re welded so that it clamps down onto the battery properly (you can see weld ontop of carrying handle)

The isolator is also a 100amp and to date I have had no problems at all and the good thing is I have 6 compatible batteries all the same 4 in van and 2 in car and I back charge from van solar to car via anderson plug when camped

post-8-1259445991_thumb.jpgpost-8-1259446054_thumb.jpg

Regards